Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friggin exhaust stud broke!!

Angry Friggin exhaust stud broke!!

I was riding today after changing out the brake fluid. I start hearing an exhaust leak. "Hmm", I says. Sounds like it's coming from the left side.

I get home, hop off the bike and there it is. Front exhaust header is being held on my a single stud.

The left one sheared off nearly clean. No idea how. Dumb is what I say. That's how. It's just dumb.

Anyway, got the new studs and gasket on the way. Gonna start soaking the studs now.

Just came here for moral support.

This is typically "stress-related". check the following or it may very well happen again:
    1-front muffler-to-case mount bolt hasn't sheered. must be viewed closely to verify
    2-front muffler-to-case mount inset bushings aren't completely worn out. they reside on either side of the mount where it attaches to engine case
    3-one or more muffler mounting straps haven't broken
    4-that the muffler straps are correctly installed. correct meaning the threaded posts of the 2 REAR straps face directly toward the belt tensioner pulley.....and the threaded post of the FRONT strap faces towards the primary cover side of the motor.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    This is typically "stress-related". check the following or it may very well happen again:
    1-front muffler-to-case mount bolt hasn't sheered. must be viewed closely to verify
    2-front muffler-to-case mount inset bushings aren't completely worn out. they reside on either side of the mount where it attaches to engine case
    3-one or more muffler mounting straps haven't broken
    4-that the muffler straps are correctly installed. correct meaning the threaded posts of the 2 REAR straps face directly toward the belt tensioner pulley.....and the threaded post of the FRONT strap faces towards the primary cover side of the motor.

good luck
    #4 happened 2 or so weeks ago. Must have been that. New clamps installed. I'll inspect the rest. Thanks for this!

Get the nut off the other stud safely before you start anything. Often when one snaps, the other will snap too when taking the nut off. If both studs snap, you cannot use the Jim's exhaust stud drill plate and will have to take your engine head off and bring it to a machinist. You would need new gaskets at that point....

Explain that one more for me? Aren't they just straps, so why would orientation of the clamp matter?

Also double check number 2. This can be a root cause that stays hidden underneath the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Explain that one more for me? Aren't they just straps, so why would orientation of the clamp matter?
    I also want to know as I'm changing out my exhaust this week and might tackle my broken exhaust stud also.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    David: i asked Danny about this via phone conversation we were having ions ago and his reply was, in essence: the single front strap is factory installed with threaded stud post pointing to left side of bike as it eases installation.....the two rear straps installed with threaded posts pointing towards right side/idler pulley side for same reason. additionally he stated that installing the straps in this precise position and method allowed not only easier installation and tightening of each strap via the 7/16th hex nut...but seemed to apply a more even tension and tightness to the entire muffler and clamping assemblies. so that's how i always install all three....replicating how it was done at the factory.

David: i asked Danny about this via phone conversation we were having ions ago and his reply was, in essence: the single front strap is factory installed with threaded stud post pointing to left side of bike as it eases installation.....the two rear straps installed with threaded posts pointing towards right side/idler pulley side for same reason. additionally he stated that installing the straps in this precise position and method allowed not only easier installation and tightening of each strap via the 7/16th hex nut...but seemed to apply a more even tension and tightness to the entire muffler and clamping assemblies. so that's how i always install all three....replicating how it was done at the factory.

^^^ this is how I do it too. I put a drop of Tri-flow on clamp screw mechanism when I have the straps off, before I reinstall.

A good place to use some of that 55 gallon drum of anti-seize you have in your bedroom, Aaron.

Unknown.jpeg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast