Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friggin exhaust stud broke!!

TASK COMPLETE.

The easy-out wouldn't get the remainder of the stud out - SURPRISE! Heat didn't work, either

Had to order a heli-coil kit for that size and after that, all went well. Everything is back together, anti-seize applied and torqued. No leaks. Runs well.

Thanks you guys, appreciate your support and advice.

P.S. I think that I will end up getting those ARP stainless studs when the day comes that I drop the engine (insert reason here).

I had an exhaust stud break on my old xb9sx. Took it to a machinist who tig welded a hex head bolt onto it, and was then able to wrench it out. However it took him FIVE attempts to do this since the first 4 times the bolt broke off when twisting it. He was just about to give up on the 5th time, and said he'd never had to do it 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
    I had an exhaust stud break on my old xb9sx. Took it to a machinist who tig welded a hex head bolt onto it, and was then able to wrench it out. However it took him FIVE attempts to do this since the first 4 times the bolt broke off when twisting it. He was just about to give up on the 5th time, and said he'd never had to do it 5 times.
    Yeah they're in there, that's for sure. When I was trying to drill into the stud to use the EZ-Out, it would just crumble. There was no welding anything lol.

Anyway, if it happens again, I'm going to try the EZ-out ONCE and then it's getting drilled out and the heli-coil is getting installed. Not wasting any time.

When I was suffering through my own busted stud, I was wondering what bits lie nearby those studs.

If someone makes a mistake in drilling crooked or too deep, what would they hit? I've only been able to stare at parts diagrams, as I've never had a removed cylinder head in my hands to examine in 3D.

What's around there? To the rear (for front cylinder), is it the passageways for the pushrods? No chance of drilling into the combustion chamber? Just the exhaust passageway?

It's a pretty decent sized boss. Theres no water jacket to hit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123