Thread: Clutch Cable Lubrication without removing from Primary???

Clutch Cable Lubrication without removing from Primary???

Hey everyone,

I came-up empty handed when searching for the procedure to lube a Buell clutch cable. Since it's routed directly into the primary the typical, and especially, easy process of just spraying cable lube into one side isn't an option here.

Wonder if I can disconnect at the center-junction to lube the top-half??

Love to hear your thoughts, thank you!

You should be able to undo the adjusting nut by the front motor mount to give you enough slack to release it from the clutch perch/lever.

Remember the bottom half should have primary fluid in it already.

do exactly what Aaron suggested. also a great time to check the clutch cable mounting bracket....the clutch pack adjustment...and to lube the lever/perch assembly where they interface.

loosen 9/16th cable lock-nut several turns....now turn 1/2" cable barrel clockwise a few turns. sufficient slack achieved to remove cable end from lever attachment point. now simply hold cable up in air and lube with cable luber and spray...or trusty old
    3-in-1 oil which, to this day, is still a great cable lube. hold cable end in air and dribble the oil down the gap between inner and outer cable. works like a charm.
    reinstall and follow manual for cable and pack adjustments.

NOTE: if your cable is Curl-Q wire mounted NOW is the time to remove that POS and replace with factory upgrade.
    upgraded cable bracket part number is...... N0012.1AAA
    only 2 left in system....i keep them in stock if you can't locate on your own

10923298_878147798918718_8075431982533665891_n.jpg
    4305_20100807025926_L.jpg
    3DDC53A6-6180-4652-BECA-B6FA6034B692.jpg

Thanks for the info, Barrett! I had performed a clutch adjustment about a month ago and it was in good shape so hopefully a good 'ol fashion lube, as you've described, will do the trick. If I discover anything I'll hit you up for the replacement!