Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interactive Exhaust Actuator

Interactive Exhaust Actuator

Hi folks - first time post. It seems that the interactive exhaust actuator has failed on my 07 XB12 Ss. Anyone have a good replacement unit for sale?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide

here is pic of your stock IEV actuator motor assembly. new available but pricey at around $149 list. notice bell-crank assembly. first series of letters/numbers on barcode sticker is the buell OEM part number.

here is pic of DORMAN substitute unit courtesy of FORD motor company. retail for around $60 and readily available. DORMAN part number is 911-912. notice the bell-crank assembly.

easy to transfer the XB bell-crank to the Dorman. Dorman is superb quality and plugs right in.
    Dorman internal gears robust and all metal. Superb! your OEM cable bracket easily transfers to the Dorman.

thank me later.

actuator.jpg
    BuellEVA_06.jpg
    Last edited by Barrett; 06-22-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks so much for a quick response. My cable OEM bracket is part of the part casting - plastic. Looking inside the unit I cannot see any stripped gears.

9526B735-199E-4FBE-9CE3-E01AA37A1036.jpeg

When i run the test using the throttle and run switch the actuator doesn’t cycle close/open/closed. It seems to favor the open position. The spring on the armature has a heavy spring that seems to favor the open position. Not sure this is normal.

B0C9B778-74AD-4438-B3BA-190E9EE26751.jpeg

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Kevin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^early 2007 and later style. earlier models as i recall had the shiny zinc-plated style cable bracket. later had dedicated bracket as part of housing.
    there is a coil spring under the black colored plastic piece in your pic. in all likelihood the protruding plastic "nib" that holds it in place has broken off.

Isn't it possible that your ECM was reprogrammed to keep the exhaust valve opened ?

Thanks for all the advice - My xb12 Ss is a May 2007 build so the original actuator had the integrated plastic cable bracket. I bought the DORMAN 911-912 actuator and swapped the cranks. Had a friendly mechanic weld it for me. All working well. Sadly, the original actuator failed open so i liked the sound but the bike was a bit jumpy. All smooth, powerful and quiet now :-). The new actuator test well and I assume works well. Thanks for all the help. The DORMAN 911-912 is definitely the way to go as a new, strengthened part. I milled away some extra metal from a lowes 90 degree angle bracket for a cable bracket - works great - just use loctite :-).

Just want to share a couple pics - bought the bike a couple months ago with a few issues - 2 owner

- bike was dirty for only 7500 miles but i had to have it though:-). Huge detail work
    - Needed front brake work - new EBR hardware and EBC pads
    - rotated motor for rocker gasket fix - time consuming but worth it - used cometic gaskets and hylomar blue as a sealer
    - new rear wheel bearings
    - wix oil filter and amsoil
    - cooler NGK 9 iridium plugs
    - some decent new bar ends - i think the bike was dropped at a stand still - still need to fix a scuff on on the frame paint

Bike is well sorted now and extremely fun. Happy to own it,

AC772CDB-37CE-43BC-99E8-E67829AF668C.jpeg

Some more pics

E2525659-CDA3-4634-87D3-D9407A80BCD4.jpeg

A2EC352C-5525-4672-8796-3757710CFD20.jpeg

3DE79C69-F81B-45F7-BB68-F55816AA6254.jpeg

E20159D6-776D-440B-8AF0-2B89CD547800.jpeg

Hope all enjoy - the experience has been rewarding.

As long as i dont hit electrical issues i think i will be ok - :-)

Good luck with the bike.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you saved a good one! I have a thing for that Orange Depending on where you live, be careful running the cooler plugs. Some people even think it makes the engine run colder, LOL.

Buells have a VERY rich cold start map, so it will be extra sensitive to cold starts, and any blipping the throttle will foul he plugs quickly. The Buell Rule is if you start it... RIDE it

Have fun with it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast