Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint options for the plastics

Paint options for the plastics

Hey all,
    Do the plastics on our bikes hold up to the heat of powdercoating? Im playing with the decision to buy wheels from cooter or get my wheels coated, but was also thinking about getting the plastics (airbox, tail and fairings) done. Was thinking getting them done in the glossy black that comes stock on 09xb or doing a matteish black.

Has anyone done this or would the plastics melt? I mean, my bike used to get pretty effin hot, but not 400 degrees hot, even though it felt like it sometimes.

What have you guys done when changing the colors? Coat or paint?

Drop some knowledge.

They would turn to goop in a PC oven...and they aren't metal... and just no

Paint with a flex additive for custom colors, but IMO if you're just going black its cheaper and MUCH easier to restore yours, or buy them. Want matte? Sand with 240-320-500-800-1000. Gloss? Finish with 1500-2000, compound, polish, wax.
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...cratch-removal

BuellyBagger is the resident paint pro, and does killer work. Maybe he'll chime in?
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-23-2020 at 06:46 AM.

or take them to a detail shop and see what they can do.

If you decide to have them painted, you will have to sand them down to get all of the old color out, or it will bleed through.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    or take them to a detail shop and see what they can do.

If you decide to have them painted, you will have to sand them down to get all of the old color out, or it will bleed through.
    I think im gonna take the grip it and rip it approach and give another one of cooters recommendations a go.

I dont necessarily wanna change from the black base, im not fancy like that. Was just thinking getting them back to that gloss black or even a matte black option. Maybe ill just sand it down and not polish it..give it anlazy industrial look. Haha

As of now, im gonna see what I can do. Gonna see what it looks like after i sand it down and maybe not polish it. IDK.

Worst case, its only money...guess ill have to buy a couple less 4 packs when i do it, so i can buy a new cover after i make a pretty little hole in the side.

I did 3 coats of PPG satin clear over the stock sunfire yellow. Looks awesome

Take the time and smooth all the edges of the skins. They have a ridge on the edges from the mold process. Looks much better with the softer edge

Also open up the mounting holes a little and you can really tuck the skins in nice a tight. You’ll be able to have a matching very small gap. Details fellas

I case you don't get 34:19's joke, there is no base color. If you read that thread the super cool and handsome man provided, you'll know that Buell plastics are moulded completely in whatever color they are. Don't go sandy sandy looking for a base color
    Depending on their condition, I'd even start at 120 and keep moving up until you get the finish you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I case you don't get 34:19's joke, there is no base color. If you read that thread the super cool and handsome man provided, you'll know that Buell plastics are moulded completely in whatever color they are. Don't go sandy sandy looking for a base color
    Depending on their condition, I'd even start at 120 and keep moving up until you get the finish you like.
    Ok, i was thinking that they were molded plastics, but im not knowledgeable enough yet to contradict you guys. I have learned that 34 has a higher ratio of sarcasm to serious...im learning to disect his comments though. I can se him convincing someone that mentos is the gas tank will increase HP by 26% or syrup in the swingarm will get rid of the engine vibrations.

Im about to spend the next few days getting then pretty. The tail scares me a bit because of its size and shape, but what better way to lesrn than to mess it up. Luckily it will still run ugly. Haha

They are moulded plastics, thats why you can't powdercoat them. But they are moulded in the same color all the way through, until you see daylight on the other side...

Take the plastics off the bike, click the link I gave you, and follow the instructions. You'll be fine.

I fell for his Mentos trick twice! So I put super glue in his hand sanitizer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast