Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint options for the plastics

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg302000 View Post
    have learned that 34 has a higher ratio of sarcasm to serious...im learning to disect his comments though. I can se him convincing someone that mentos is the gas tank will increase HP by 26% or syrup in the swingarm will get rid of the engine vibrations.
    Not gonna lie. If someone asked me if that was true, I'd probably agree.

Of course, if someone did sand all the way through the plastic just to realize the "paint isn't coming off", this may be an easy first lesson of "Maybe a 15 year old motorcycle isn't for you".

You're not the first to ask this question, I see it a lot on the Facebook forum. And I've been waiting to use this smart aleck remark for about 8-9 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Of course, if someone did sand all the way through the plastic just to realize the "paint isn't coming off", this may be an easy first lesson of "Maybe a 15 year old motorcycle isn't for you".

You're not the first to ask this question, I see it a lot on the Facebook forum. And I've been waiting to use this smart aleck remark for about 8-9 months now.
    Haha...i love it. Im full of dry humor and you will find no sensitivity here.

I look at it this way, im not afraid to f*** something up. You all know better than I do, but I wont follow blindly...atleast, not sober. I have spent most of my life in a trial by fire. So, breaking something or installing it backwards is a way for me to make sure i never do it again. I just hope it doesnt cause the bike to go down at high speeds. So, sanding a hole in a plastic is the least of my worries.

Aside from that, carry on.

I am so ready to sacrifice an airbox cover, just for the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    They would turn to goop in a PC oven...and they aren't metal... and just no

Paint with a flex additive for custom colors, but IMO if you're just going black its cheaper and MUCH easier to restore yours, or buy them. Want matte? Sand with 240-320-500-800-1000. Gloss? Finish with 1500-2000, compound, polish, wax.
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...cratch-removal

BuellyBagger is the resident paint pro, and does killer work. Maybe he'll chime in?
    I have no idea about this type of stuff and i'm gonna go in tomorrow and buy the sandpaper to get started. based on my research on sandpaper , I should buy 3m wetordry silicon carbide in the different weights you mentioned, because Silicon carbide is better on plastics? whereas the aluminum oxide is better for metals and wood.

Also, do I need to down to the 240 to start? the plastics are in good shape, but some scratches here in there more belt buckle and zippers...no gouges and I want to go the matte route, unless I don't like it then I will polish it.

F*** I have no idea what I'm doing...This is gonna be fun.

Go through the link Cooter posted about the scratch repair. Seriously, its pretty good.... even if he was drunk on Mentos and King Cobra when he wrote it.

..and they aren't metal...
    Powder coating does not necessarily need the part to be electrically conductive.

Aka Cooter is wrong!

Well, sort of. Heck you can even 'powdercoat' wood if you want.
    I put quotes over it because it's close to the same process, but not true "powdercoating" where the heat flows and cures the powder.

Plastics are typically done with a UV cured specialty powder, but it still goes in the 400* oven, so your Buell plastics would resemble...

Unknown.jpeg

Unless that what your going for?

Well, sort of. Heck you can even 'powdercoat' wood if you want.
    I put quotes over it because it's close to the same process, but not true "powdercoating" where the heat flows and cures the powder.

Plastics are typically done with a UV cured specialty powder, but it still goes in the 400* oven, so your Buell plastics would resemble...

Unknown.jpeg

Unless that what your going for?

The trick is to preheat the item to the point where the powder melts/flows. In that case the electrical charge is just used to guide the powder in the direction of the item being coated. Not really helpful for this case, but it’s been a while since I said you were wrong, so I had to go down a rabbit hole just to lift myself up, by pushing you down. Hey, what are friends for, right?

TL;DR : useless trivia
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-28-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Of course! I count on you for the footprints on my forehead

I've never done any powder coating as a job but I was lucky. There was an absolute perfectionist (also sheet metal fab) that had a shop right behind my Valencia branch, so I got to play around quite a bit with other peoples stuff. The best way to learn! I still want to get an old electric oven to do small parts. Eastwood has a fair-to-decent kit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast