Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB9S out of power

Hybrid View

XB9S out of power

Hi.

What are typical signs of clogged fuel injectors? My XB9 wont rev properly, almost impossible to get over 5000 rpm. It is like it hesitates or starve, also some hesitation at 2000 rpm.

I checked the fuel pressure and it was around 3,1-3,5 bars, seemed to flow good. I plan to clean the injectors in my brothers shop, he has a special equipment for such. Can the pump be bad even if giving those values?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrikrosen View Post
    Hi.

What are typical signs of clogged fuel injectors? My XB9 wont rev properly, almost impossible to get over 5000 rpm. It is like it hesitates or starve, also some hesitation at 2000 rpm.

I checked the fuel pressure and it was around 3,1-3,5 bars, seemed to flow good. I plan to clean the injectors in my brothers shop, he has a special equipment for such. Can the pump be bad even if giving those values?

Can the pump be bad even if giving those values?

YES.
    tell-tale signs that the pump needs serviced:
    excessive crank-to-start times particularly on over-nite or longer cold start
    lazy throttle response
    rolling on the throttle coming out of moderate turns results in engine stumbling
    back-firing thru TB into airbox assembly
    continuous climbing AFV value
    odd/unusual/abnormal sounds coming from either the pump motor itself or the frame/tank area
    erratic warm engine curb-idle speed

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Can the pump be bad even if giving those values?

YES.
    tell-tale signs that the pump needs serviced:
    excessive crank-to-start times particularly on over-nite or longer cold start
    lazy throttle response
    rolling on the throttle coming out of moderate turns results in engine stumbling
    back-firing thru TB into airbox assembly
    continuous climbing AFV value
    odd/unusual/abnormal sounds coming from either the pump motor itself or the frame/tank area
    erratic warm engine curb-idle speed
    Barrett,

So far no back-firing but out of power and not reving properly. Can the TPS be the issue? Will clean the injectors and remove the fuel pump, i found rebuild kits on ebay which include new pump, regulator etc for about 100€?

You can buy a really nice rebuilding kit for your fuel pump from ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guess who!

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    You can buy a really nice rebuilding kit for your fuel pump from ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guess who!
    Thanks for the offer, i will pm you if needed. Problem is high shipping cost and toll fee’s when buying from USA. I wish a trade deal would come.

I removed the fuel pump today, it was in a very clean shape. No dirt in the fuel tank more than a black coat inside. Is there any way to check to pumps function? Or is it best to overhaul the unit preventively?

1FB646C9-1C2B-4669-905E-0DBE46502965.jpg

A8CE01AC-4266-4513-9924-656D5CA9C126.jpg

Just my humble opinion... If you've already done the work of removing it just do the overhaul. Money well spent I'd bet.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Just my humble opinion... If you've already done the work of removing it just do the overhaul. Money well spent I'd bet.

I agree, any suggestion what to change in a fuel pump overhaul except the filter?

Thanks for great advice, i will change the pump, strainer, orings etc. Also connect ECMspy to see if there is any codes and if needed reset the TPS.

After fuel pump change, injectors cleaned and tested in a shop, TPS reset and checking for fault codes (was one, fan fuse was blown) does the bike run fine. It seems the XB9 engine runs best from 3000rpm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast