Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XB9S out of power

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    You've already got the answer right here. The more old parts you replace, the better. On my bike, turned out that there was a tiny hole in the flex hose, so the pressurized fuel would just spit back out into the tank.

You've already done the hard work of getting the pump out of the bike, so may as well do it right.

You should look into replacing the pump motor itself as well. There are threads here about how to check pump function outside of the bike, but they seem like a lot of work for a relatively cheap part.
    100% agree. Replace it all; cheap insurance.

Thanks for great advice, i will change the pump, strainer, orings etc. Also connect ECMspy to see if there is any codes and if needed reset the TPS.

After fuel pump change, injectors cleaned and tested in a shop, TPS reset and checking for fault codes (was one, fan fuse was blown) does the bike run fine. It seems the XB9 engine runs best from 3000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrikrosen View Post
    After fuel pump change, injectors cleaned and tested in a shop, TPS reset and checking for fault codes (was one, fan fuse was blown) does the bike run fine. It seems the XB9 engine runs best from 3000rpm.
    Yes buells have a "peaky" cam shaft set up. I'm sure the power curve is even shorter on the 984cc with its shorter stroke. I've only ever had 12's, but I'd say like 3000 to 5500 is the money

They sound like a Harley, but don't ride it like one. 7500RPM redline!

IMO lugging that poor engine at less that 3000RPM is a recipe for chattered bearings, super high cylinder pressures, unresponsive throttle, and even poor mileage. It will constantly come out of closed loop because it needs so much fuel to accelerate from that low and RPM.

Bad thing for me is I ride my harley like it's a buell... I really gotta change the cam in the ole oneone4Snapchat-557087657.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    They sound like a Harley, but don't ride it like one. 7500RPM redline!

IMO lugging that poor engine at less that 3000RPM is a recipe for chattered bearings, super high cylinder pressures, unresponsive throttle, and even poor mileage. It will constantly come out of closed loop because it needs so much fuel to accelerate from that low and RPM.
    Worth thinking of when driving, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12