Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Riding tips

You only have to take your mirrors off and tape up your lights.

Well confidence on my cruiser yes I can to the roll bars on a corner.
    But I'm not confident on this bike yet I ride it like a timid child on his first bicycle lol.

Someone on here probably owned this bike years ago. The guy I bought it from got it from the states. Somewhere around 2010 I think

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I've always wondered why the physics works like that. Is it from pushing on the bar, you are shifting your weight to that side? Are you leaning a bit when you do that? I dont think thats the case, as I never lean into my turns. LOL.

A motorcycle squid is a slang term, so having a definite meaning for it is not easy. ... The urban dictionary defines a motorcycle squid as someone who over-estimates his abilities while riding a bike, and is over-confident of his abilities despite lacking any relevant skills.Mar 17, 2017

Yup... nailed it!
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tersteer+works

Well the one with the firetruck crash brings it all into perspective

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Is it from pushing on the bar, you are shifting your weight to that side? Are you leaning a bit when you do that?
    When you initiate a turn on a motorcycle by shifting your weight, you're basically trying to fall over sideways on purpose and then catching yourself (using the power from the bike or arc of the turn) with centrifugal force to keep you up and in balance.

All of that makes going around a corner a complicated process and you haven't even got to actually figuring out the corner or any possible obstacles in your way. Diminishing returns as well, the more you lean, the harder you have to try to keep yourself up. That's WRONG! (lol)

Instead, just push the bar and go around a corner. Really. I know it sounds stupid but the harder you push the bar, the sharper the bike turns (counter steering). Confident, and effortless, all the way to the edge if you want.
    {Yoda}
    "To turn corners, straight first you must go!"

Try this little test Go straight from 30mph to a mildly aggressive, complete stop with the front brake. Note how the front dives down.

Use proper body position:
    Grip the bike with your knees, stay square (spine at 90* to the bike), a little pressure on the footpegs (balls of your feet), and keep a tight core. It should be comfortable, you'll be riding 100's of miles like that from now on. If you're doing the body position right, you should be able to let go of the bars while riding without shifting your weight.

Now do the stop thing again. Make sure you are still using your knees to grip the bike and not putting weight on your wrists. Note that the forks don't dive anymore. Crazy right? You have just lowered your CG by almost a foot!

Thats how you ride straight. Your wrists will thank you. Even turning aggressively takes almost no effort from your hands, so this proper body position is very important.

Heres you official 'Busa footwear
    6rVYe.jpg
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-01-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Go a parking lot, the lines can be used for all sorts of low-speed fun games. See how fast you can stop from 25mph and put a mark there, keep doing it until you can't stop any faster. You'd be surprised how much you improve after just 3 times!

Now pick a point where you need to swerve around and stop as fast as you can.

Now make a 90* turn and stop.

Thats just braking. Practice hard launches as well, you don;'t even need to shift. Even if you aren't Mr. DragraceyMcRaceFace, It could save your life if you see that car coming!

No matter what you'll get plenty of practice making U-turns, LOL.

Those are interesting because they usually happen at such a low speed that counter steering isn't applicable. Drag the rear brake a little. It should straighten the bike out and help hold it up.

Don't listen to some blowhard on the internet who thinks they know everything Get professional advise, there is a TON out there.

Buy this: Don't cheat and watch the Youtube but its CRAZY CHEEZY and worth a laugh.
    https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-M.../dp/0965045013
    and this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-V...NCZD6X8H8QP1BE
    this guy has a bit of a pretentious tone, but some good points for street riding:
    https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mo...7NVNX5RY3KT0T0
    I haven't read this, but hear its very good:
    https://www.amazon.com/Total-Control...FA6JGZBNY6AD2X

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Instead, just push the bar and go around a corner. Really. I know it sounds stupid but the harder you push the bar, the sharper the bike turns (counter steering).

This has always amazed me how this works, and I often think about it when cornering... especially while on a long sweeping turn like a cloverleaf. As I'm taking the turn, I'm actually pushing on the bar. Seems totally counterintuitive on paper, but it works. I just always assumed it was a weight transfer thing more so than actually pushing on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Don't listen to some blowhard on the internet who thinks they know everything

heheheheheheheheheheheheh!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast