Thread: Difference between SS and S tail

Difference between SS and S tail

Hey guys, whats the difference between the tails? I have tried to figure it out, but cant seem get it. Seems like the SS is a longer tail like the R, but the S seems to be shorter and goes to about mid rear tire. I want to piece together the parts to do the swap and i know people have done it before, so i will use theirs threads as the models, but want to see what the difference is. I think i want the shorter/sportier S tail, but not even sure about that.

What u got?

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg302000 View Post
    Hey guys, whats the difference between the tails? I have tried to figure it out, but cant seem get it. Seems like the SS is a longer tail like the R, but the S seems to be shorter and goes to about mid rear tire. I want to piece together the parts to do the swap and i know people have done it before, so i will use theirs threads as the models, but want to see what the difference is. I think i want the shorter/sportier S tail, but not even sure about that.

What u got?
    R tail looks like every sport bike out there. Mostly plastic with 2 small seats.
    S tail uses the small double seat with aluminum seat rails and tail
    Ss uses the longer double seat with aluminum rails.

The parts are exclusive to each. You can’t put an S tail on an R or Ss, without converting everything....

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    R tail looks like every sport bike out there. Mostly plastic with 2 small seats.
    S tail uses the small double seat with aluminum seat rails and tail
    Ss uses the longer double seat with aluminum rails.

The parts are exclusive to each. You can’t put an S tail on an R or Ss, without converting everything....
    Yeah, i think i undersrand that part. My question, as rabble-worthy as it was, was more directed at the S vs the SS. It appears the S has a similar length to the R, but the S is actually shorter and goes to roughly mid rear tire. I have also seen some that look like an S, but also remind me of a few forgettables from college with there @$$es in the air...which i think looks like ****

I think i want the S rear, as it looks sportier, as its shorter. Does that mean the SS and the S have different length rails? Im trying to piece it together, but want to make sure i get the correct rails, so i can make sure and get the part numbers correct.

Then as im searching, i see all these weird scg names popping up and i usually close the computer because i dont understand the difference. I just dont want to buy the longer side rails, as i like the shorter version, because those damn things are expensive.

I can make assumptions, but then im gonna end up pissed with an unrideable bike...well, atleast a seatless one.

Get an S or Scg seat frame rails. The Scg is the same bike with lower suspension and a shorter kickstand but the same bike as an S otherwise.

The Ss has longer seat rails and seat. And won't fit.

Some of them look really tall in that back because it used to be cool to add spacers at the frame to kick it way up like a rooster. Never understood that

The XB-S or XB-Ss rear section that holds the taillight is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Get an S or Scg seat frame rails. The Scg is the same bike with lower suspension and a shorter kickstand but the same bike as an S otherwise.

The Ss has longer seat rails and seat. And won't fit.

Some of them look really tall in that back because it used to be cool to add spacers at the frame to kick it way up like a rooster. Never understood that

The XB-S or XB-Ss rear section that holds the taillight is the same.

Ok, this is what i assumed after looking at a bunch of pictures. But couldnt find anything to confirm it. I think i have everything ill need for parts to piece it together. Figure the color wont really matter, as ill get all the plastics powder coated ( see what I did there?)...just kidding.

Welp...this is gonna take forver went from 200 bucks to 3-5 real quick.

L0072.1AD BRACKET, rear shock reservoir mount
    L0075.1AD BRACKET, seat latch
    L0076.1AD BATTERY PAN
    M0007.1AD TRUNK PAN KIT
    M0066.1AD CABLE, seat lock
    M0067.02A8 RETAINER, seat lock
    M0068.5AC PLATE, seat lock
    M0069.02A8LATCH, seat lock
    M0076.3AE SEAT, complete
    OR M0090.1AC SEAT, complete
    M0612.1ADYT TAIL SECTION, left
    M0613.1ADYT BRACKET, license plate illumination/center*tail section
    M0614.1ADYT TAIL SECTION, right
    Y0602.1AD COMPLETE VEHICLE LOCK SET, w/ seat, ignition, fuel cap & key set
    OR Y0725.02A8 SEAT LOCK, w/ key

I think this all im gonna need. Hahahahahahah

You can powder coat the rails and tail as they are cast aluminum.

There are some threads on here where people have done the conversion you want to do... aka lightning bolt