Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12Scg suspension set up for spirited riding?

Question XB12Scg suspension set up for spirited riding?

Hi everyone, what is your recommended F/R suspension settings? Or where should I start before fine-tuning? I haven’t adjusted settings since I bought the bike used.

Posts on here indicate that the factory settings (set up for your weight) are pretty poor.

Most of my riding these days are spirited canyon rides and I’m looking to find the optimal settings.

Weight is probably 180 in full gear.

Thanks!

The manual setting are for your weight and a good starting point, anything past that is for how YOU ride and how YOU like it to feel. Theres no magic setting, and no one can do that for you.

Try searching "Dave Moss" "2 clicks out" on you tube to explain what each setting does and what to change to make your bike behave the way you like it too.

Its a fun process, and impossible to screw up. All you have to do is turn settings. You can always start over.

DITTO on Dave Moss - GENIUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The manual setting are for your weight and a good starting point, anything past that is for how YOU ride and how YOU like it to feel. Theres no magic setting, and no one can do that for you.

Try searching "Dave Moss" "2 clicks out" on you tube to explain what each setting does and what to change to make your bike behave the way you like it too.

Its a fun process, and impossible to screw up. All you have to do is turn settings. You can always start over.
    The manual even offers alternate versions of the base settings if you want it plusher or firmer. Once again, these are an opinion and may not fit all riders preferences.

What do you mean by "pretty poor"? Too much compression? Spring rate too low? Rebound damping too quick? Lack of mid stroke support? "Pretty poor" doesnt really say much.

Do you need to have more granular damping? Independent high/low speed compression and rebound? If so, you can always look at a Ohlins/Penske setup.

First things first. Set your sag with gear on. Then go.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    First things first. Set your sag with gear on. Then go.
    Sage advice ^^^^^.

In almost all of the Dave Moss videos I've noticed that most people don't even have that done correctly.

All great advice. I agree, Dave Moss is a wizard.

“Pretty poor” was summarizing anecdotal evidence from members here. Citing instability, poor handling etc.

I’ll start w/ getting my sag measurements right, and go from there.

Thanks everyone!

Those sound like issues of worn tires, bearings, bushings and lack of fork service.

I don’t think anyone took out a brand new Buell and claimed that it suffered instability or poor handling. In fact all the reviewers claimed that the handling was always the shining point of the bike.

TPEHAK?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-09-2020 at 05:41 AM.

Ya the “T” word could complain about handling after he put that ridiculous 240 tire on the rear...

Aaron’s right, even tires with tread that are old, cupped from bad suspension settings, or just plain squared off will ruin handling and make getting the suspension set to your liking absolutely impossible. That’s good advice to make sure the bike is in proper working order before you even start fiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Those sound like issues of worn tires, bearings, bushings and lack of fork service.

I don’t think anyone took out a brand new Buell and claimed that it suffered instability or poor handling. In fact all the reviewers claimed that the handling was always the shining point of the bike.

TPEHAK?

for serious sporting riding, millimeter width of rear tire irrelevant if basic chassis and supension rules adhered to during initial design faze. Buell all models suffer from doldrums of entry-level bean-counter supsension components, then followed up with poor advice in owners manual on how to properly adjust and and configure this inferior suspension. my solution was to completely redesign all components on company CAD units as well as CNC machining custom touches to enhance adjustability.
    Buell models very poor choice for both comfort and nice handling. Sad to say it but my 1963 Tohatsu RunPet handles better than my Buell that costed me $14,280 new. Inferior for so much money.

Warm Regards,
    TEABAG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast