Thread: XB9S Clutch Lever Bushing Destroyed

XB9S Clutch Lever Bushing Destroyed

My brake lever felt a little sticky, so I cleaned and lubricated it. It was clearly dry and uncared for, but no issues.

Figured I would do the same for the clutch lever, but when I took it apart I found this:
    20200707_214145_1.jpg20200707_214149_1.jpg

Total bushing failure and even some wear on the clutch lever itself. I was able to find some old posts on the forum talking about this, and apparently the bushings aren't made to last long. Seems like it's 5/16" ID x 3/8" OD x 5/16" WD. I am going to see if I can find a replacement locally and fix it before the lever gets any worse, but may need to step up to a larger OD to accommodate the lost aluminum.

It's so wasted there is more than an inch of vertical play at the end of the lever when installed.

Anyone have experience or advice on this?

yes and yes.

don't waste your time dicking with it. why? i've seen this lever actually crack and break @ the 6 0'clock position relevant to that bushing, when installed. and never in the garage or driveway. always on a trip with the requisite expense of towing.

plenty of good used ones available on here from helpful board members.
    BCU/H-D replacement part # N1102.02A8----suffix B3L-----over 400 available in dealer system. list is $37.60
    comes as complete kit: lever....bushing installed...new pivot pin and nut.

I'm with this guy ^^^. Not even worth your time to re-build a lever, when a factory one, or a pair of adjustable aftermarket ones are so available and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ItBit View Post
    My brake lever felt a little sticky, so I cleaned and lubricated it. It was clearly dry and uncared for, but no issues.

Figured I would do the same for the clutch lever, but when I took it apart I found this:
    20200707_214145_1.jpg20200707_214149_1.jpg

Total bushing failure and even some wear on the clutch lever itself. I was able to find some old posts on the forum talking about this, and apparently the bushings aren't made to last long. Seems like it's 5/16" ID x 3/8" OD x 5/16" WD. I am going to see if I can find a replacement locally and fix it before the lever gets any worse, but may need to step up to a larger OD to accommodate the lost aluminum.

It's so wasted there is more than an inch of vertical play at the end of the lever when installed.

Yes, when a bushing is not cared for and is ran without maintenance it will fail. Bushings are designed to wear, and a lack of maintenance will accelerate it. Dont blame the bushing, blame the person who didnt care enough to give it a drop of oil every 5 or so years.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Dont blame the bushing, blame the person who didnt care enough to give it a drop of oil every 5 or so years.
    No kidding. That guy actually used a $5 can of spray paint to ruin the headers too (there is still overspray in places I can't reach), and claimed the bike was liquid cooled. What I meant is that in the old thread people were saying it's common for the clutch bushings to wear out.

I ended up pushing out the worn bushing and rotating it 180° to use what's left of it while I look for a better solution. I lubricated everything with anti-seize since that's what the manual calls for.

If you are determined to try and repair that inexpensive part, you can Usually find oillight bushings like that at a Ace/True Value hardware store or equivalent well stocked fastener place like Grainer or McMaster Carr.
    Drill out the old bushing to a press fit for the new one.