Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap XB9R across Europe... am I crazy?

Cheap XB9R across Europe... am I crazy?

Hello all.

I am planning to take an epic bike trip in the autumn. The problem is that the Kawasaki ZX-7R, which I'm currently rebuilding and meant to do the trip on, is still very much in bits because of life and ****. It's still possible I may get it together, but I figured better start thinking about a plan B. What's the worst that can happen? I get another bike to fool around with.

So today I accidentally found an okay looking 2006 XB9R with 20k on the odo and asking price of 2500 euros, which I think is pretty reasonable. I have zero experience on Buells, but in some perverse way I do find this one extremely attracting.

Can the bike take TWFO riding from Estonia to Italy and preferably also back? I know, old bikes are very much individuals, but are there any pitfalls I should keep an eye on when a) going to check the bike out and b) if I buy it, when I'm riding around at home as a shakedown? Basically the service stuff I'm taking for granted is servicing&reshimming the suspension, greasing the frame bearings, changing the oil, air filter, brake pads, brake fluid, tyres and checking the wheel bearings. Anything else needed?

And most of all: Would you do a trip like this on an XB9R?

Sure, go for it. These can be very dependable motorcycles because they are so simple. Remember it is a 14 year old motorcycle so it's previous life and treatment will dictate how "good" it is.

Heres a link to the service manual so you can see what to check.
    http://buellmods.com/manuals.html

Unless you plan on doing your own wrenching on the bike, you may want to call some shops in the area to see if will work on a Buell or even know what one is? Forums and Facebook are full of new owners who bought these bikes "because they were a deal" just to find out that no one either will or wants to work on it. The last person you want wrenching on your bike is someone who is not enthusiastic about it.

Manual is highly appreciated! And yeah, I'm working on my bikes myself, so no worries there.

I'm hearing horror stories about vibrations – not afraid of them for comfort's sake, rather than doing 4000km and having something fall off. Are there some screws (not mentioned in the manual) that you WILL want to threadlock in place?

Yes. All of them.
    I travel with a drum of Loctite 241 and hose the bike off at every gas stop.

Seriously though, the shifter linkage comes to mind, and exhaust flange studs will break if a nut gets loose. They aren’t that bad. I don’t think they shake as much as any Harley and people ride those things much farther than your thinking. Haha

Well, I just offered him 2 grand without seeing the bike. Let's see. Would sure be interesting, I'm a fan of peculiar vehicles, and every true motorcyclist needs an American V2, right?

Quote Originally Posted by huuhaa View Post
    Well, I just offered him 2 grand without seeing the bike. Let's see. Would sure be interesting, I'm a fan of peculiar vehicles, and every true motorcyclist needs an American V2, right?
    As long as your comfortable with turning wrenches yourself, and enjoy working on bikes, you should be OK. If you need a mechanic, unless you get really lucky, you may find yourself up a creek without a paddle.

There is a thread on here where a guy was traveling from North America to South America and blew his engine in Mexico. I'm pretty sure its the first time those guys have seen a Buell. Just because its a Sportster based motor, and the parts come from Harley, it doesnt mean Harley mechanics like working on them.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-09-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    you may find yourself up a creek without a paddle.
    Never quite understood that one. If you're up a creek without a paddle, then no worries you just float back downstream.

Now DOWN a creek without a way to get back is a bigger headache

A japanese bike can go around EU even if being 30 years old with out any problem, should not a 14 year old Buell be able to make it? If not is it crap. IMHO.

What ever you do don't listen to this idiot ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. !

I have British bikes, Japanese Bikes, and two Buells, my favorite bikes to ride are my Buells ,with that said and in my opinion an R model would be uncomfortable for such a ride. I know you came across one and maybe have a hankering to own one if that is the case then buy it for running around town and hitting the twisties, they're great for that. Like with any used bike, once checked out and all maintenance done I wouldn't hesitate to take the trip. One of the members on here has taken his Ully cross country multiple times with absolutely no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast