Thread: Flashing lights flashing quickly when engine is not running

Flashing lights flashing quickly when engine is not running

Hi,

I've got a 2004 xb12s. When the engine isn't running the flashing lights are flashing quickly. When the engine runs, they act normal.

Not really a problem, but I am just curious what is the cause and if this is maybe a sign of another problem. Grounding issues?

Last edited by Jurrien; 07-13-2020 at 06:04 PM.

I would check the flasher relay first.

Those are after market turn signals... LED's correct?

The flasher relay operates at a specific current level. When the current level is constant, it causes the flasher to flash at given normal rate. To low of current and the flasher relay will flash faster. To high of a current and the flasher relay will flash slower. When you shut of the engine off there is a current drop that makes the relay trigger faster. (Due to the collapsing magnetic field of the relay.) At least that is what little I remember.

Check to see if you have a resistor module (block) installed inline with the LED flashers. (Will be somewhere in the wiring.) If you do, this is what is giving you that constant rate of flash that is similar to the OEM turn signal bulbs, and is also why the turn signals are flashing faster when shutting off the bike.

Typically I always use an aftermarket flasher relay/module that operates on a timer, not current, with the LED lights. (They are a bit of a pain to wire and hide.) That way you don't have to worry about what current your drawing with the flasher relay and you can use any combination of turn signals you want.

Here's a thread about how to modify the stock turn / flasher relay so that even LEDs won't blink too fast. No need for resistors or a fancy new relay.

I have an '09 XB9 and it still worked for the later models

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ED-flasher-mod

Thanks for reposting

Thanks for the answers, I will look into the NO money LED flasher mod!

Just buy a LED compatible flasher. They are cheap and should be readily available. I've done the "no money mod" and its hardly worth the effort.

This worked for me when I installed cheap LEDs on my 03 XB9R.

iJDMTOY (1) 3-Pin CF14 EP35 Electronic LED Flasher Relay As LED Related Turn Signal Bulbs Hyper Flash Fix

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAU66V4..._KEYdFbX4AFC0J