Thread: Introduction Post -- 2009 XB12Scg

Hybrid View

Introduction Post -- 2009 XB12Scg

Hey everyone -- I've been on this forum for 2 years now so I figure I'll share some info about my bike.

I own a 2009 Cherry Bomb XB12Scg (first bike) that I purchased in July of 2018. I've been into cars (mostly vintage BMWs) before getting a motorcycle, and I found the history and heritage of Buell alluring. All of the quirks about this bike make it enjoyable to own.

I've only managed to ride 3,500 miles since owning her, but I was down for 5 months due to a loose exhaust stud bolt. This led to a broken tap inside my cylinder head requiring me to remove the frame and basically rebuild the top-end. Fun times!

Current modifications:
    Tail Tidy
    Breather re-route
    Rizoma Rearsets
    Rizoma LED turn signals
    Handlebar risers
    Tail lift
    Rizoma pulley cover
    Latus Exhaust
    LED headlights w/ grill
    Front Rotor (Galfer?)

Future modifications:
    Performance street tires (that can also be used on the track) -- any recommendations?
    19MM front master cylinder upgrade (brembo or Nissin)
    RSS from pegasus customizing (if I can find it anymore)
    Techspec frame/airbox grips
    Some new grips, maybe Rizoma

Any other mods worth doing?

Here are some pics of the bike (wife's old Vino in the back):
    IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_3110.jpg

I was just able to find some used Kick Ash plastics locally, that I just put on. What do you think vs. Cherry Bomb?

IMG_6533.jpg
    IMG_6535.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg

The name is JP. Thanks again for all of the help you guys have given me over the last few years!

Cheers!

Where are you located? I'm in Pacifica. Would be fun to find another Buell XB rider. I hardly ever see any on the road.

I've got an '09 XB9SX in blue. I say keep the Cherry Bomb red all the way around. The colors are what set our bikes apart from everything else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Where are you located? I'm in Pacifica. Would be fun to find another Buell XB rider. I hardly ever see any on the road.

I've got an '09 XB9SX in blue. I say keep the Cherry Bomb red all the way around. The colors are what set our bikes apart from everything else out there.
    I’m in the South Bay. I was just at Alice’s on Sunday. It was so crowded!

I agree, the red is so unique.

I will rock the Ash for a while and keep the cherry bomb for when I get bored! Haha.

Exactly! 8 bolts to change the plastics and it's a whole new bike Thats a really nice looking bike JP

I would recommend Q3+ for the track and street. A Rosso III would be nice, and I hear the B22 is as well. The Q4 and Pirelli TD is even softer and won't last.
    By 19mm "upgrade" do you mean a radial MC? You can use the OE EBR 1190 one, or any 19mm (3/4") for 7/8" bars. I have one if you need it.
    The tech spec are expensive, but I really like them. They don't mark up my white leathers, but are still sticky enough to work.
    I use Oxford grips and like them a lot. They also have a series of "Fat grips" that fill my clenched fist for dramatically better bar control.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post

Fabiodriven exposed!

mostly vintage BMWs
    Pics or it isn't true. I guess that explains your username. I knew I'd heard that term before. I've owned 2002's in the past.

This led to a broken tap inside my cylinder head requiring me to remove the frame and basically rebuild the top-end. Fun times!
    UGGGGHHHH! I feel your pain.

I was just able to find some used Kick Ash plastics locally, that I just put on. What do you think vs. Cherry Bomb?
    Kick Ash FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Exactly! 8 bolts to change the plastics and it's a whole new bike Thats a really nice looking bike JP

I would recommend Q3+ for the track and street. A Rosso III would be nice, and I hear the B22 is as well. The Q4 and Pirelli TD is even softer and won't last.
    By 19mm "upgrade" do you mean a radial MC? You can use the OE EBR 1190 one, or any 19mm (3/4") for 7/8" bars. I have one if you need it.
    The tech spec are expensive, but I really like them. They don't mark up my white leathers, but are still sticky enough to work.
    I use Oxford grips and like them a lot. They also have a series of "Fat grips" that fill my clenched fist for dramatically better bar control.

Good luck and have fun with it!
    Thanks for the tire recs Cooter! I plan on doing my first track day in the Fall but most of my riding these days have just been 80-100mi canyon rides on weekends. Shelter in place has had me working from home = no more commuting.

Yes! 19mm radial (since my bike has a 19mm axial, stock w/ ZTL2 system). PM me if you're interested in letting go of the OE EBR one. I think that would be a nice upgrade to the stock MC on my XB.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Pics or it isn't true. I guess that explains your username. I knew I'd heard that term before. I've owned 2002's in the past.
    I wish I owned a 2002. They're on my list... My daily driver is an E39 (and I've had a few). I guess it isn't quite vintage, but it IS in BMW's 'Classic' catalog... so there's that. I've also owned a handful of E30s in the past -- and I have my eye out for another one.

IMG_2358.jpg
    2.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg

Also, if anyone needs a cylinder head jig to remove exhaust studs for cheap let me know lol. I have the JIMS and CFU pieces.
    Last edited by AC_Schnitzel; 07-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.

We no speak-a de 'Vino' here Mang! Hahahaha.

We only speak Vespa
    images.jpeg
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-16-2020 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    We no speak-a de 'Vino' here Mang! Hahahaha.
    Hmm I don’t know if this forum supports private messages.

Lmk if you’re interested in letting go of your radial MC from your EBR ��

edit nvm, was on mobile. you can PM on desktop. one coming your way!
    Last edited by AC_Schnitzel; 07-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.