Thread: 2009 XB12SS Problem Starting

2009 XB12SS Problem Starting

I recently bought a 2009 XB12SS with 21,000 miles. The bike has been awesome; however, just recently, I am having problems starting it. When I turn the key to on with the bike in neutral, the neutral light comes, the oil light comes on and the gauges sweep, but the engine light flashes in conjunction with the fuel pump. The pump goes on-and-off, on-and-off, while the light flashes. After 5-10 tries of turning the key off and flipping the kill switch, I have, thankfully, been able to eventually get the engine light to come on solid and fuel pump primes for 4-5 seconds and the bike starts as usual. I tested the battery and it read 12.6V. The battery is 3 years old. No loose terminals, main ground is tight, and fuses looked good. Any ideas? Thank you for your assistance.

Sir: you have a classic "power drop-out" and not uncommon as these XB's age. do the following tests which will narrow down the area causing your problem. AND READ my link below. it covered a near identical problem from several years ago. i was known then as user-deleted.

1-key OFF....kill switch OFF....steering centered. now turn key ON and slowly turn steering lock to lock watching for unusual dash light occurrences. if none proceed to step 2. if so...excessive tugging of ignition switch harness and has ruined the switch connection.
    2-key ON....kill switch ON...steering centered. wiggle both the ignition switch wire harness AND the kill switch harness which is part of the wiring loom for right side switchgear housing. watch for your anamoly of blinking CEL and intermittent fuel pump noises. then also lightly wiggle the key in the switch using common sense. report your findings to us.
    3-doing the same as step 2 above....find the main wiring harness that travels past the steering neck. known trouble spot. with both key ON and kill switch ON wiggle said wire. if anamoly appears you have a frayed RED POWER WIRE within the wiring loom.
    4-with red straw into cap, spray some PB blaster or AeroKroil down both the key slot of the ignition switch as well as in and around the kill switch, as best you can. with key OFF spray the kill switch and rock it back and forth multiple times when spraying. these 2 simple things can sometimes solve your problem.
    READ THIS LINK. it covers the main power circuitry including kill switch for all XB's.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...on-Relay/page2

Step 1...No unusual dash light occurrences.
    Step 2...No change. CEL was flashing in conjunction with "pulsing" fuel pump. Fuel pump is now making a high pitched, squeaking noise, while pumping.
    Step 3...No change.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i was known then as user-deleted.
    He was also a bit of a Lunatic back then... that's why he got himself deleted

Now if I wipe out my account, do I get to be user-deleted-2???

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i was known then as user-deleted.]
    and this was his wallet.

May have something do to with ECM Connectors -
    Try this - Take off the seat, place the key to the on & kill switch on position THEN Put pressure/move around on the wires going in the ECM Plugs( mine was the Black Plug)

If this made a difference, sounds like the Soldering joints in the ECM have broken - typical - they're options > Let me know
    Last edited by mattyMaxMac; 07-16-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Since the tests suggested above showed negative, try the basics, clean all of the grounds off no matter what they look like, apply an anti-corrossive to them, have the battery load tested, then get back to us with results.

Replaced battery and all relays; thing starts better than ever. I did buy an OEM fuel pump I'll probably just hang onto, unless anyone interested in buying it.? LOL