Thread: lost the speedometer for a hot minute, came back shortly

lost the speedometer for a hot minute, came back shortly

I was at a stop light for a minute and when i took off I realized my speedometer needle was on 0. the odometer was also not changing. After a couple miles i sat at another stoplight and when i took off it was working again, and worked the rest of the way home.
    2008 xb12r

I'm going to work so i dont have time to research this yet but does anyone have some pointers if i need to look at something? Or is this one of those hiccups in life that happens and we just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    I was at a stop light for a minute and when i took off I realized my speedometer needle was on 0. the odometer was also not changing. After a couple miles i sat at another stoplight and when i took off it was working again, and worked the rest of the way home.
    2008 xb12r

I'm going to work so i dont have time to research this yet but does anyone have some pointers if i need to look at something? Or is this one of those hiccups in life that happens and we just move on.
    I would check the speedometer sensor or the wire connected to the speedometer sensor. Just a random guess...

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I would check the speedometer sensor or the wire connected to the speedometer sensor. Just a random guess...
    Is that on the transmission housing i am guessing? My old harley was driven off the front wheel but that was a mechanical speedometer.

On top of the case, above the out put shaft.

It's also a magnet, so it could be packed with junk from the last 12 years of riding. Pull it out and clean it, maybe you get lucky? I'm betting wiring though, it would be super weird to have a solid state thing (the sensor) be intermittently inop.

Had the same issue yesterday on my road trip. A bad headlight connection blew a fuse 10A. Checked fuses, visually all ok, changed them, runs fine again. Repaired headlight connection first

I had this same issue last year, cleaned it like cooter mentioned and it went away for 500 miles. Came back again and decided to just change it. The part cross references with a sportster sensor, can’t recall what years. It was super cheap and took all of 5 minutes to swap, it has not come back over the last 7,000 miles this year.