Thread: 2006 Buell xb9sx break light not working

2006 Buell xb9sx break light not working

Hi all,

My 2006 Buell xb9sx break light has stopped working. I have checked the following:

Changed the bulb and checked both filaments with the tail light power wire, both work.
    Checked DC voltage on break light wire when activated it was 12 volts.
    Both front lever and rear pedal when activated show 12 volts on the break light wire.

Any ideas on additional checks i can do?

Thanks

Dane: what you want to do is determine whether you have a positive feed problem...or a ground problem. can be accomplished via a few different methods, but here's how i do it:
    1-get a known good 12 volt battery OR using your XB battery...determine you have a perfect dual filament bulb. take what you believe is a known good bulb...one single thin jumper wire...BE GENTLE AND DELIBERATE....and touch the metal side shell of the bulb to the negative battery post. place one end of your jumper wire onto one of the tiny "nibs" at base of bulb. be accurate and precise. one filament should illuminate. NOW do the other "nib". other filament should illuminate. if both illuminate then set bulb aside. if NOT, replace the bulb.
    2-with bulb removed from rear tail-light socket...turn key ON...kill switch OFF. turn on low beam. take known good test light and going straight into the socket....touch test light pointed end to either one of the socket contacts. one should make the test light illuminate. if so, then use tape or velcro and squeeze front brake lever fully. now test the other socket contact. it should also illuminate the test light. this method bypasses all harness connectors. if both tests successful then you have determined that you have a faulty socket-to-bulb ground connection.
    3-if during #2 above you find that one or both socket contacts do NOT illuminate the test light, then you have either a fuse or wiring problem.

NOTE: when performing step #1 above you can also use a simple multi-meter set on OHMS to do the test. should see O ohms for each test step. i just like the old-school jumper wire test better, but both accomplish the same thing.
    Last edited by Barrett; 07-20-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Barrett

Got it working... It was a ground issue at the tail/break light housing. Still not sure how a ground issue would let the tail light work but not the break...
    Regardless, fixed now.

Thanks

-Brake Light Please-------------------------