Realizing this isn't even remotely germane to anything motorcycle related....i thought i'd access the automotive-world brain power on here for possible answer. even local Chrysler/Toyota dealer gurus couldn't answer it. so here goes.
in my fleet is a low mileage 2006 Dodge Dakota Club cab with SOHC 4.7 magnum V-8.
question also applies to my 2007 Toyota Yaris sport coupe.
both have nearly identical heater and a/c controls. on the control pod area for both is blower motor speed knob...temp adjustment knob....outside/recirculate control knob...and most importantly small button you push IN to activate the a/c system which seems to directly turn compressor on and off. it illuminates when pushed in.
when i'm driving either vehicle on hot day i set controls as follows: temp knob to max cool...other knob set to recirculate...fan speed knob to high...and push the a/c button IN. result on both is nice icy cold a/c air.
when the temp gets comfortable i reach over and press the a/c button which turns off the compressor but everything else remains the same. then when it heats up inside again, i push button back IN and cools off.
PITA on trips, as you can imagine. but doing this does give the compressor a rest.
here's my question: if i set everything as above...leave a/c button pressed in...then adjust temp knob for nice comfortable cabin temp....does it keep the compressor running constantly? or cycle the compressor ON and OFF? as mentioned, even local dodge and toyota guys don't know.
THANKS MUCH!