Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baffling Automotive A/C question-NEVER found an answer

I did say there was a damper(DOOR) in my first responce.

I did 15A work (A/C and electrics) for several years at Ford dealers as a young technician and 34:19 is exactly right. Nice description BTW

Don't worry about wearing out your A/C compressor John, its a metal to metal clutch with no friction material to wear. Just set the temp to a comfortable level and let it do its job. You are just turning the compressor control circuit on and off, so the compressor will just run longer to get the refrigerant to the right pressure again and pressure switch will still cycle the clutch as necessary. "Max A/C" doesn't make the A/C work harder, it just opens the recirculation door to use the cooler cabin air instead of hot outside air (and on some vehicles also run the fan at max).

A small side note: Compressors really, really, hate to start up with a high head pressure. Some old wives tale went around Phoenix when I worked at Sanderson Ford in the 90's that if you bypassed your A/C compressor pressure switch to make it run 100% it would be colder. Nope. The old York piston style and even the Sanden rotaries would blow up pretty quickly. Lots of warranty denials. Even best-case they would just freeze over the evaporator core into a block of frost... no air flow, no cooley-cooley.

{rant}
    I can't STAND it when someone gets into a hot car with "auto climate control" and cranks it to 60 degrees. They think they are setting the temp of the air coming out of the vents or something!?! Set it to the damn temp you really want and leave it the Hell alone! It will run FULL BLAST freezing air to get to that comfortable temp and then stay there automatically. Thats the POINT of "auto climate control"....

Or removing the A/C compressor on a factory A/C '70 El Camino to get that ONE more HP?
    Or wiring an electric cooling fan to the ignition or a toggle switch instead of using a temp sensor?

{rant off}
    I'm such a grumpy old man, hahaha

CHRIS....CODY....AARON....SHAUGHN....can't thank all of you enough for taking the time to walk me thru this. wasn't fond of posting a puzzling automotive question on here but honest to God....even the local toyota/chrysler service guys i asked, never quite knew which method was proper. your collective brilliance is greatly appreciated, believe me.
    Last edited by Barrett; 07-28-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Or removing the A/C compressor on a factory A/C '70 El Camino to get that ONE more HP?
    Every single fox body mustang has this "mod" lol

Ya, lose comfort, re-sale, and the defroster, to go from 225hp... to 226

This is true, but people still remove it. Bad taste never goes out of style.

Still? I doubt that, unless teenager or 'track car' Re-engineering the accessory drive on anything later than the late 80's with serpentine is a bigger deal than cutting a v-belt. Anyone dumb enough to think removing A/C will help, isn't smart enough to do that, haha. Heck, A/C compressors aren't even heavy anymore.

And youngsters are sissies and need their precious cold air. Sweat like a MAN! LOL.

These are all valid points... however it looks like there is a solution for about $60-$75.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-acdelete-9609.html

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8511A/musta...ator-kit-85-93

You obviously dont watch any of the Donut media content on youtube.... I tip my hat to you in that regard. You seem like more of an "Overhaulin'" type person. AM I WRONG????
    Last edited by casual_observer; 07-27-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Sorry, I've never been into 'reality shows' or 'YouTube content' begging for likes. I'm already a mechanic, theres not much I need to know that some media show can teach me.

239850AC-8579-4440-ACFB-0D9543CFD864_1_201_a.jpeg LOL

I'll watch some of the MotorTrend stuff because I know those guys, but purely for the silly/adventure stories.

Dont let Cooter fool you. You nailed it with him being a classic car build show junkie.

This is Cooter all day long...

This is more my speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12