Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voltage Regulator died; any good sellers/products?

Question Voltage Regulator died; any good sellers/products?

I got stranded about 30 miles from my house while taking a nice ride to the lake. Had to ride home on the battery after charging it with jumper cables from my wife's van. She had the pleasure of following me home while we did this 2x to top off the batt.

Anyway, battery survived. Stator is working like a charm - passed all tests. Performed troubleshooting tests from the manual.

Leaves the regulator but I can't find anything I'm 100% confident in buying. There are some generic ones on eBay and Amazon - $59-$100.

There's also some other DIY mods (e.g. https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...or-on-Buell-XB ) but I don't have access to a CNC and not sure I want to deal with it.

That said, I'm looking for some pointers and products that you guys trust. I couldn't find any OEM VR's after about 20 min of searching; my Google-Fu might be off.

TIA.

The stator "passed all tests", but you didn't check charging voltage at the battery? >12.5 at rest, > 9.6V cranking, 13.5-14.7 running at 2K RPM or more.

If it's charging while running and you are SURE the cables are tight and clean, the VR can have an intermittent fault as well, just to frustrate you more.

There are early and late VR's with different plugs for whatever year your bike is.

I put "Buell voltage regulator" into e-bay and got this for a bolt-on solution:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/9037306963?ii...iABEgJ7CvD_BwE

You don't need a CNC machine to make a simple bracket, but a VR is a pretty universal part. They take the A/C voltage you tested for on all 3 legs on your stator, converts to DC current and "regulates" it to 14.7 max. Theres 'upgrades' available, but its a pretty hardy Buell part and a new OE unit should last you.

Also check out the mod where you can add a voltage gauge to your dash.

Mine was fluctuating wildly for a couple months before the VR died. I thought it was just random fluctuations from a cheap display, but it was actually reflective of a bad VR. Wish I had done something about it, before I got stuck on the side of the rode as you did.

With a new VR installed, it's reading a steady 13V+ when I ride.

You should look into a regulator from either one of these companies. Roadstercycle.com or https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...ier-regulators E

Everything I've seen or heard has said it's a better design then factory. I've been running one from Roadstercycle for over 10,000 miles without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The stator "passed all tests", but you didn't check charging voltage at the battery? >12.5 at rest, > 9.6V cranking, 13.5-14.7 running at 2K RPM or more.

If it's charging while running and you are SURE the cables are tight and clean, the VR can have an intermittent fault as well, just to frustrate you more.

There are early and late VR's with different plugs for whatever year your bike is.

I put "Buell voltage regulator" into e-bay and got this for a bolt-on solution:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/9037306963?ii...iABEgJ7CvD_BwE

You don't need a CNC machine to make a simple bracket, but a VR is a pretty universal part. They take the A/C voltage you tested for on all 3 legs on your stator, converts to DC current and "regulates" it to 14.7 max. Theres 'upgrades' available, but its a pretty hardy Buell part and a new OE unit should last you.
    Of course I checked the batt lol. It's fine - I have a real battery tester.

I just don't really feel like making any bracket but thanks for the link on the VR. I think that's the same one I was looking at.

If I was going to put one on my bike I would use the MOSFET shindengen reg from Roadster cycle. It works with a 2 phase or 3 phase stator. It's probably cheaper then OEM that's if you can find OEM. I have one on the VFR in my garage and it works great. If the one on my firebolt takes a crap that is what I am going to use. The wiring is easy to do. Just my 2 cents.

I just bought an OE one from St Paul HD for my 08 ss. Was readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Also check out the mod where you can add a voltage gauge to your dash.

Mine was fluctuating wildly for a couple months before the VR died. I thought it was just random fluctuations from a cheap display, but it was actually reflective of a bad VR. Wish I had done something about it, before I got stuck on the side of the rode as you did.

With a new VR installed, it's reading a steady 13V+ when I ride.
    Exactly what just happened to me. I find it so very odd that Buells don't have at least a volt light Weird place to cut corners, or a huge oversight.

A voltmeter mod is easy to do and I like mine, but I LOVE this better.
    http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkri...ge-monitor.php
    (Thank you to 34:19 for the helpful link!)
    After all, it doesn't really matter exactly the sitting or running voltage is to the decimal, what matters is that its in a correct range. One colored light is much easier to see in peripheral.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I just bought an OE one from St Paul HD for my 08 ss. Was readily available.
    I just got mine from there too, but I just looked when he started this thread and no longer listed Maybe we got the last ones? John would know

Thanks will check that out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast