Thread: Front isolator bolt installation

Front isolator bolt installation

Reinstating the front isolator bolt after rolling the motor. Cleaned it up and applied anti-sieze. Adjusted motor height with a jack until it threaded in smoothly. When i get to the final torque 50ft/lbs it acts like it is bouncing against the rubber isolator instead of shouldering out and torquing up. Isolator appears good, gap is on the correct side. Is this common or should i pull it, grease it up and try again.
    Thanks,
    Dave

If that big bolt has been overtorqued even one time, it can mushroom at the shoulder and effectively shorten the length of the shoulder... making the center sleeve of the bushing bottom against the bolt head and frame, before the shoulder does.

Shade trees LOVE to crank on oil plugs, lug nuts, and any bolt bigger than 3/8". and thats a deceptively large bolt to only need 50Lb/Ft.

The right way is a new bolt, the shade tree is put an extra 10Lb/Ft and see if it feels better. Post what you find!

Nose of the bolt was a good 1/4” away from shouldering out. I made sure the insert was tight. I ended up hand filing the isolator bushing down until the bolt torqued up without binding the isolator. Runs and feels good, when the isolator was in a bind it was not happy at all.

Can you post a picture of what your installed bolt looks like now ?

thanks