Hi all, I have a 2010 XB12Scg with about 27000 miles on the clock and I am pretty sure my issue is with a fuel pump failure. But before I buy a new fuel pump I wanted to run it by you guys and get your thoughts.

Here's the story, I was riding on the weekend and my bike just quit without any prior warning leaving me stranded (this included a $420 dollar towing bill, argh!). While waiting for the tow truck I did a quick check of the fuses and found the fuel pump fuse had popped. I tried swapping in the Aux 10 amp fuse and it blew as soon as I turned on the ignition which led me to believe that I had a short to ground somewhere but that is about as far as I got with my roadside diagnoses.

When I got the bike home I hooked up my Buelltooth and using ECMSpy I got the following codes:

Historic
0 Fuel pump pressure fault
21 AMC Stuck Open x2
33 Fuel pump short to supply
Current
33 Fuel pump short to ground

I'm not sure why some of the code showed as historic, the last time I had ECMSpy hooked up to the bike (about a month ago) there were no codes at all.

Seeing this and after going through about a hundred searched posts by guys who have had the same issue you would be led to believe that the problem would be a bad fuel pump and that I should just bite the bullet and replace it but... after doing some further diagnoses and actually un-taping part of the wiring loom to check for damaged wires I pulled the pump (this was made much easier by dropping the swing arm by the way).

The pump looked fine as they do and I checked for continuity on all wires in the wire harness. They were in perfect shape and there was no evidence on anything shorting or going to ground either in the loom or the harness outside the pump. Then, just out of curiosity I connected the pump out of the bike to a 12 volt source and the pump spun up like it is supposed to!!? So now I'm thinking there may be something else going on and it's not the pump. I reassembled everything, put in a new fuse and it immediately popped just like before.

Everything I have read says that the pump has failed and that it should be replaced, even the factory electrical diagnostic manual points to the pump as the point of failure. I would be good with that except for the fact that the pump works on its own to a 12 volt source outside the bike. Because the pump works out of the bike and not in makes me wonder if it's something else wrong.

Am I overthinking this? Do all those additional codes point to something else? I just don't want to buy a new pump only to find out that it was not the issue.

What do you guys think?

Any light that you could shed on this would be appreciated.

Gord