Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been gone long time, stator question

Been gone long time, stator question

Been gone for years both bikes running well , I'll make a new video of them soon.. my xb12 Lightning bolt is draining batteries and I ran a volt meter across the terminals and it came back a steady 12.5V .. I think it's a bad stator. If so, what sportster stator worked? 2003 to 2007? Last time I did this on the 9SX I had to remove that plastic guard off the stator.. good to be back, Tom

Hey Tom: I've mentioned you on here a few times during your hiatus. You...Chicago(the venetian blind salesman)....TEABAG....the lotta ya.
    What year is your XB? 2003-2007 are 3 phase. 2008-2010 are single phase. Completely different VR's. Let me know and I'll get you the XL/XR cross-over part number. It is suitable substitute but a slight bit of wiring mod lengthening required. There are some very good knock-off VR's on Ebay right now that actually work well and nicely priced.
    Check your BATTERY fuse in fuse box....condition of connector plugs....condition of battery cable ends and terminals. You're wanting approx 13.7 to 14.5 Volts DC at the battery at approx 2500RPM.
    John

[QUOTE=Barrett;638113]Hey Tom: I've mentioned you on here a few times during your hiatus. You...Chicago(the venetian blind salesman)....TEABAG....the lotta ya.
    What year is your XB? 2003-2007 are 3 phase. 2008-2010 are single phase. Completely different VR's. Let me know and I'll get you the XL/XR cross-over part number. It is suitable substitute but a slight bit of wiring mod lengthening required. There are some very good knock-off VR's on Ebay right now that actually work well and nicely priced.
    Check your BATTERY fuse in fuse box....condition of connector plugs....condition of battery cable ends and terminals. You're wanting approx 13.7 to 14.5 Volts DC at the battery at approx 2500RPM.
    John[/QUOTE

hey Barrett , long time no see. how has the bikes been? Its a 2003 so a 3 phase.. I'll get right on checking what you recommended . I cleaned the terminals and the cable ends with sand paper, ..and still got only 12.5V no matter what RPM it was.. its not charging for some reason and it kills the battery pretty quick according to my battery charger, 2 or 3 starts and it's reading like 50% and in the orange on the charger. I may have time tomorrow to get on it and make a video.. I moved to a big old 2 story house I bought 18 months ago in Eustis Florida.. oh and I married Jenny a few months back after like 13 years of living with her. haha .. she's looking great too I'll post a pic when I can figure out how to do it here

one from a month ago.. Jen now 51.

didn't work.. I posted 3 new ones of her but they are all sideways for some reason and I don't have controls to flip them.. I mean I posted them in my photos on my profile

Tom: Bikes and myself have been great. Thanks for asking. And congrats on marrying Jen. I recall from your vids that she was a super cool chick. I'm betting money on a failed VR but check your stator system charging output before purchasing a new VR. The simple multi-meter check spelled out in service manual and as I recall you want to see approx 49-52 Volts AC at 3000RPM on your meter when checking.
    On the VR Tom for your 2003:

It is 3-phase
    The wiring harness is quite long and the pair of wiring harness plugs at end of harness equal in length
    The wiring harness plugs at end of harness for 2008 and up VR's are staggered in length
    Harley Davidson part # for your VR is Y1302.02A8
    Dealer system shows 84 still available in listed dealer inventory--might be more available
    Tons of knock-offs on Ebay and they seem to get very decent reviews. I have never tried one of them but if I needed to, the
    pricing is just too good to pass up.
    I do not know of a XL Sportster VR that crosses over to the 03-07 XB VR without major fiddling.

I thought that if the VR was bad, you'd get crazy voltage readings at the battery terminals going up and down as you blipped the throttle? no?

the bike is old but it's only like 20k miles...

on the knock off 3 phase , what do I need to search for? sportster 3 phase 2004 ? something like that?

A "failing" VR will typically display some pretty wild fluctuations in DC output voltage.
    A "failed" VR will typically display NO DC output voltage being pumped into the battery/electrical system.

Your 2003 VR has equidistant twin plug wiring length. The 2008-2010 VR has staggered distance twin plug wiring length. That is your physical identifier so shop according.
    Ebay knock-offs pretty darn good for the price and come with warranty
    Rick's Electrics are top-shelf at OEM pricing
    2003-2007 XB ALL ENGINE SIZES ALL MODELS USE SAME VR
    Links below should get you started

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15497757164...Bk9SR7qBo6DzYg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30522766240...temCondition=3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast