Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooter and Bubbles ride to Mumzys house.

Thank you my friend But you missed the end!

https://cooterstravels.blogspot.com/...33132226580886

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thank you my friend But you missed the end!

https://cooterstravels.blogspot.com/...33132226580886

Thanks for the heads up. I revised it.

"Last edited by 34nineteen; Today at 06:35 PM."

Such a great story.

Looks like someone wrote you a pretty sincere complement on the blog page. I agree with that person, and that is why I am insisting on sharing the story on here.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Episode 6: Sleeping in gas stations ain't so bad either.
    I'm dying. My beautiful little Bubbles is dying too. And so are you. Theres no technology, no amount of money, no religion, nothing that can save you from the inevitable. Even Bugs Bunny knows "No one gets out alive, Mack". So, now that thats settled... how you gonna live?

"Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day"
    John Ottway's unnamed father

Truth be told we are a long, long way from fighting giant Alaskan wolves with our bare hands. But it's a good reminder that 'longevity' is not a goal.

Long distances with the distracting glow of the gas reserve light on, no longer forces me into constant mental DTE calculations. Following a thin black line to a minuscule dot on an untrustworthy map is now the norm. The sun diving towards the mountain tops much too soon to be anywhere before dark is completely acceptable. We have now officially hit the sweet spot of the journey, and rumbling along quite nicely!

Bubbles and I are prepared just enough to be comfortable anywhere, we have enough supplies for a night or two, and we've been on the road long enough that our setup and tear down nightly ritual is refined and fast so theres really no daily destination at all anymore. Just wait 'till dusk and start looking for somewhere with a view. The sweet spot.

Theres a bit of chatter from Bubbles on the comms when she see's the first sign of anything for many miles now and it looks like a gas station! Nope. The pumps are just displays. From the 1930's. In front of the Old Station RV park. Luckily on the other side of town (pretty much the other side of the RV park) there is a real gas station set into the pines and easily 100 miles from anything besides the RV park of the same name. Our range may only be about 200 miles between fill-ups but I'll never get tired of topping both bikes to the brim for less than a $20 bill.

By now we are crystal clear that all State campgrounds are closed 'for our safety', and private campgrounds are all open (because capitalism trumps safety), but they are all predictably full to capacity. We will be tossing the tent in a random field tonight. I'm donning my leather exoskeleton again, ready to hunt for the perfect spot when Bubbles pipes up. "Hey, maybe that guy knows a place? He's my kinda people." Of course he is. A shovel in one hand, a beer in the other (Ok, ok, so he's my kind of people too). She comes back in a couple minutes with the confident strut of a woman who just killed a giant Alaskan wolf with her bare hands.

"See that bench way under those beautiful trees?" Yup. "He owns the place and said help yourself, anywhere you want, free of charge". Ok then! Grab an extra beer from their cooler, we're setting up the dice game tonight!

Tree hugger!

See? Not bad at all

Turkey approved.

Happily set up camp and wow it got dark quickly. The station was shut, and no traffic to speak of on that tiny road so we really had the place to ourselves.

Ready for dice!

Just enough time to look at tomorrows roads

Dang Turkey can't hold his beer.

A pretty cool and restful night, got to watch the big bright moon cross the sky again and only had a few critters rustling in the leaves, curious about their new field mates, left us both ready to rip up through this barren part of California heading into Oregon. Just a quick re-stock in the morning, some trinket purchases and a hearty thank you, then say g'bye to a fantastic night in a really awesome place. The back yard of a gas station.

North of Old Station all the way to the Oregon border is pretty barren and uninhabited. Odd, considering the land is rich and the weathers nice. The 89 had provided a scenic rambling way north up to this point but we were at a crossroads, literally. Option one is to stay on 89 and it would run into the dreaded Interstate 5 right at Weed, Ca. Option 2 is instant death. Well, option 2 wasn't really instant death (but we would have picked it anyway), it was the 299 running even further into no mans land towards the large dot of Canby, Ca and the Modoc Nat'l Forest. The valley roads are arrow straight for miles and the mountain passes are tree lined and groomed but almost boring. Right about the time we thought we'd seen all this place had to offer, a tiny little detour into a 'viewpoint' showed us how wrong we were.

Stunning waterfall, river, mountain, what else do you need? There was a local guy sitting there pencil drawing or writing poetry or something, but wow!

Don't jump!

Just goes to show ya what you could miss if you're not looking. Over that pass and back down to a valley and it looks like theres an artist/farmer that lives here too.

So close to the Oregon border now! One gas stop at the large dot of Canby, Ca turn on to the 139 and we can both make it all the way to Klamath lake, Or. We're going to have to, because theres nothing else between those points, save 2 ghost towns with no gas. Just like Canby, Ca.

The wasps hadn't found us yet.

Thanks man, I hadn't got a chance to post up here yet I appreciate the help!

I'm really diggin this trip.

For those that still care, sorry it's been awhile This part isn't the most exciting section either, but we're getting there I promise!

https://cooterstravels.blogspot.com/...aws-oh-my.html

As usual, good read. So your a VW van baby, cool !

Thats man, I appreciate it!

I never got a confirmation, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, damn hippies. LOL.

Really nicely written, sir! Thanks for letting us armchair travel along with you. I do miss the berries of the Pacific NW.

That was an astute comment about a few folks together being really nice. But with a bunch of us together, we can become a crazy mob.
    Guess we hairless apes were really meant to roam the savannah in just our small family groups.

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." -Friedrich Nietzsche
    Last edited by Endopotential; 02-03-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Being from N.Cal., I'm particularly enjoying the sharing of your journey. I don't know if you came down the coast through Fort Bragg/Mendocino on your return or not, but it would have been real cool to meet up with you two and ride a ways w/ you down our awesome coastline here. Again, thanks for sharing(and helping me learn my new Ulysses!).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast