Thread: ECM Spy Mono with PLX SM-AFR unit

ECM Spy Mono with PLX SM-AFR unit

Hi

Has anyone managed to connect PLX SM-AFR wideband O2 unit to ECMSpy Mono with USB cable?

I have somekind of a transmission error with wideband signal, just don't know where to look for the solution to this. It would make tuning of the fuel maps so much easier if I could just make this work.

Thanks

What are you trying to do directly with ECMSpy and the WB? FYI. I would HIGHLY recommend donating for the latest version of ECMSpy.

Doesn't the PLX-SM have datalog capability? Or is it just a simple WB/gauge with an output?

Turn off closed loop in the Buell ECM. Datalog with your wideband, put your map and datalog file into MegaLog Viewer, the MLV algorithm will modify your map, install that map with ECMSpy and your USB cable, turn CL back on and enjoy the ride.

I actually have the latest ECMSpy. I'm beginning to do a base tune for 1275 kit before going to dyno with my bike. I have two PLX SM-AFR units so I was hoping to get both cylinders logged at the same time. My bike is 2004 XB12S so no front O2 channel in the ECM. I was reading through the ECMSpy for Mono user guide and it mentions that it is possible to datalog two PLX SM-AFR units at the same time if they are "daisy chained" and connected with serial cable. And that PLX USB cable has the serial-to-usb converter in it. I can find the correct COM port in the ECMSpy Mono wideband settings but it just shows widebands inactive. PLX unit itself doesn't have a datalogging capability, of course there are some PLX datalogging softwares but it doesn't help much with our bikes.

I know I can do it the "oldschool" way, routing the wideband signal through ECM. Just wanted to give this new ECMSpy feature a chance.

Thanks for the details. It really helps answer a question.

If all you doing is a "base tune" before a dyno session, don't bother with a front O2, you'll just be wiping that map the first run anyway.

IMO, do it "old school". Because (1) You know how, (2) its the same exact info, (3) it works just fine.

If you insist on doing it the other way, search "ECMSpy Comm port" here and on BadWeb. You'll find there were issues. IIRC re-naming the port you want to use was the key to making it work? Sorry I'm not 100%, it's been awhile....

Ok, thanks for the reply. ECMSpy Mono had some really interesting stuff with log file analysis, dynamic maps and AFR values etc so I got interested in it. But now it seems that there might be too much issues with the wideband O2 communication. ECMSpy and MLV is definitely the way to go.

By the way, while I was scrolling through ECMSpy homepage I found out that ECMSpy Mono is now downloadable free...

Cool, glad you got it sorted. 1275 is a good upgrade, I'm next!

Quote Originally Posted by pnuts View Post
    By the way, while I was scrolling through ECMSpy homepage I found out that ECMSpy Mono is now downloadable free...
    True. I was suggesting to donate. Because its such a great resource.

Had my front connection rod bearing go out and destroy my crankshaft and both cylinders so thought that why not go a step bigger as I need to rebuild everything after all...

Ouch

Thats a super rare failure but glad you're sticking with it! A true Bueller