Thread: Mixing brands (not weights) of oil

Mixing brands (not weights) of oil

I'll be changing my xb9sx's oil soon. I have various brands of 20w50 oil by Redline, Royal Purple (both synthetic) and Valvoline (not synthetic). Would I be totally insane to mix such brands of oil to use them up? I've used semi-synthetic oil in other motorcycles I've owned, but I suppose simply mixing synthetic and non-synthetic doesn't equal semi-synthetic.

oil.jpg

don't be cheap. Put GOOD oil in your bike.

Agree with Outlaw. First thing I did when I bought my bike was buy 4 quarts of amsoil 20w50 vtwin and change it out. You might be fine, but I wouldn't do it to my bike. Even if you go cheaper on the oil, I wouldn't mess around mixing. That being said, this popped up on my youtube feed awhile back and I found it pretty interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    don't be cheap. Put GOOD oil in your bike.
    Royal Purple and Redline are very good oils. Just different brands. Valvoline's fine too.

OK, pick one and run it.

I agree with everyone stating to pick a brand and stick with it. It's not optimal to mix brands - especially conventional oils. In the old days, this was highly frowned on because of the differences between napthenic and paraffinic oils (see: https://www.differencebetween.com/di...nd-naphthenic/). I always equated it to mixing blood types (A and B blood types = no bueno).

Synthetic oils are different. They have a higher tolerance for mixing. See: https://www.thoughtco.com/mixing-reg...-oil-p2-607586

AGAIN, PLEASE pick an oil and stick with it. Nothing more should be said - though I stated that it IS possible, I'm not endorsing it.

Seals are my concern. They get brittle with age and detergent packets and other chemical mixes could accelerate that process - getting brittle. It's not to say that it [would] but it [might].

IMO, pick a brand you like and you feel comfortable with. If you like RP, then, go for it. You like Castrol, rock on. Just stick with your choice.

I personally am pretty opposed to conventional oils in most modern engines due to heat (especially our air-cooled Buell's) and tolerances. Synthetic is better. Period.

P.S. My above statements aren't meant to pontificate all over the OP, but I'm sure someone else might happen upon this post with some question(s) that weren't answered. Hope this helps you future reader.

IMO most synthetic oils meet a certain spec. If they meet the same spec but are a different color I wouldn't hesitate. Heck, my bike has 3 different synthetic oils in it now that are on there 3rd track day and I'll use this mix until the year is over. So far the bike doesn't know the difference.
    Last edited by outthere; 08-08-2020 at 09:05 PM.

There was a case back in the day of stators being ruined when people were running gear oil in their primary.

I’ve heard stories of the contents of certain additive packages not reacting well with other brands of oil’s additive packages, and wreaking havoc as well.

That said, I’ve haphazardly mixed brands of oils with no bad reactions (that’s I know of). However I also do believe in sticking with a brand. Usually on HD stuff it’s HD fluid , however who knows if/when they change their vendors. I’ve run across that with suspension fluid in the past.

Is ruining your bikes engine worth saving $20?

FYI, I did not mix oils.