Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    That's from balancing - they remove material from the factory to balance. Lot's of engine/parts that spin will have that same tooling. Sometimes they add weight but typically, they try to remove it.
    Ok cool thought about that but wasnt sure where they drilled into the writing

Thanks much. Yes some one has not been nice to this bike. It does run pretty good just sitting there �� I’m going to try and find a new shifter shaft in better shape. Check clutch plates,prob just replace them. Put back together and reevaluate the noises in the primary. Noise only shows up when you get it in gear and release the clutch. In neutral no noise. Maybe clutch plates are sticking if it has sat a while. Might be some of the issues putting it into gear. The shifter shaft was also scrap, the splines were stripped and linkage was slipping on the shaft, prob rotating 1/8 inch before moving the shaft.
    Sorry for jumping around in the thread. It all got a little confusing for a bit, but after a good sleep ready to tackle again.
    Where do you folks find most of your parts?
    StPaul Harley Davidson seems to have some. Have not found a shifter shaft yet , or the c-clip for clutch.
    Here is a photo of shifter shaft. Don’t think I can save it ��FDE851D7-72AC-413E-A5D9-4BE253596427.jpg
    Actually when I shifted it to neutral with primary cover off and holding shifter shaft by hand. It took very little force to slip it back to neutral, so that’s why I think noise may be in the clutch plates ?
    Last edited by FOKKER; 08-12-2020 at 03:20 PM.

If you can not save the shift shaft, it will set you back about $250, so I'd imagine, its in your best interest to try.

At this point, I would remove the primary sprockets and chain and inspect the end of the shift shaft that is behind the clutch basket. It seems like at least one of the springs may be distorted. There is a thread on here about the springs and orientation of the pawls on the shift shaft. Compare the spring that you can see in your pic to these, granted one is disconnected, but you should get the idea.

Also, that looks like a lot of shavings on the bottom of your case.

Yes I also noticed that. I was hoping that it is from the clutch plates and will explain the noise I have. �� we will see when I get the clutch off. I have seen a couple of home made clutch compression tools on here. Seen lots on eBay but all seem too say only up to 2001 Buell models. What have you used ?

6124EEF2-78E3-4284-AD5C-3B0F42E6F4BD.jpgMade some progress today. Wanted to show pictures of the clutch plates and the free play in the clutch end of the case. Some good news. Local Harley dealer still supports the Buell product was able to order new shifter shaft and other parts. BB557FE9-CF78-4838-83EE-7F76A53F5812.jpg18BECFD5-B6E2-477C-82C2-BF73F0400646.jpg
    One picture is plates. They all look like this. Other is in a mirror, picture of springs and pawls on shifter shaft. The rear sprocket will be tough to remove last guy did nice job rounding off the corners of the nut
    The rear gear has some wiggle in it. Is this normal. Video I took will not upload I will keep trying. It moves maybe 1/16 inch. ??
    Measured fibre plates. All are .078-.085 measured in 3 different spots each
    Last edited by FOKKER; 08-13-2020 at 01:04 AM.

he rear gear has some wiggle in it. Is this normal.

NO. it's not a "rear gear". it's the clutch basket assembly. built-in damper spring assemblies clue that it's a true XB basket

It moves maybe 1/16 inch. ??

see schematic. #30 possibly missing..substituted...severely worn from prior idiot wrenching. same idiot who tore up #23 & 24

Measured fibre plates. All are .078-.085 measured in 3 different spots each

completely irrelevant. it is the total STACK HEIGHT of the clutch pack that determines acceptable minimal thickness. ALL covered in SM.

NOTE: REFER TO TSB dated 9-16-2005 #TT-211 for important updates to this entire procedure.

clutch_pack_exploded_view.jpg
    Last edited by Barrett; 08-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Ok thanks. Shop manual gave me the min thickness of 0.661 that’s why I gave that measurement. Just going to replace the stack. Any recommendations on who to get new plates from? Also pull rear basket assembly off as you described it. To put new shifter rod in. Apologies if I miss name parts or ask questions. I’m just jumping into this and trying to learn it. idea behind this bike was a project to learn the deeper workings of the motorcycle.

I would reach out to Dan at NRHS for a replacement clutch. He is very knowledgeable with Buells and very helpful. Good guy!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I would reach out to Dan at NRHS for a replacement clutch. He is very knowledgeable with Buells and very helpful. Good guy!

also, be aware that you will have to reinstall those clutch plates to remove the nut to remove the clutch basket. IIRC it is a left hand thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FOKKER View Post
    Ok thanks. Shop manual gave me the min thickness of 0.661 that’s why I gave that measurement. Just going to replace the stack. Any recommendations on who to get new plates from? Also pull rear basket assembly off as you described it. To put new shifter rod in. Apologies if I miss name parts or ask questions. I’m just jumping into this and trying to learn it. idea behind this bike was a project to learn the deeper workings of the motorcycle.
    I think it's cool you're willing to do it yourself. Many people just shrug their shoulders and call a mechanic - or sell the bike. Learning is always good IMO.

Just take your time, don't do anything unless you've researched it well and enjoy your bike. Working on the bike is part of the fun, I think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast