Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway speed cruise

I dont really understand where you are coming from. If it was harmful to run the bike at 80 mph in its highest gear for long periods, why didn't eric regear it to have a lower cruising rpm? I would trust the engineers at Buell over a bunch of people on a forum. Especially since that motor is a derivation of harley's EVO, an already rock solid powerplant. The engine is capable of over 7k rpm. running at 50-70% of that for long periods isn't damaging. My ranger fuel cuts out at 5500. On highway cruises at 80mph its turning 3100 rpm or more, again in the 50-70% range. 140k on it without a single hiccup.

Hey, you found your pigeon and he ate it up. Hats off to you if you told him the story of running it like you did for hours on end and he paid you $4k. The moneys in your pocket and he’s 2 states away, so pat yourself on the back and don’t listen to us. Did you at least offer to throw in a set of floor mats and undercoating?

Don’t worry, when the buyer shows up here with a rod knock trying to claim it’s a manufacturing defect, we’ll point him this way.

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    I dont really understand where you are coming from. If it was harmful to run the bike at 80 mph in its highest gear for long periods, why didn't eric regear it to have a lower cruising rpm? I would trust the engineers at Buell over a bunch of people on a forum. Especially since that motor is a derivation of harley's EVO, an already rock solid powerplant. The engine is capable of over 7k rpm. running at 50-70% of that for long periods isn't damaging. My ranger fuel cuts out at 5500. On highway cruises at 80mph its turning 3100 rpm or more, again in the 50-70% range. 140k on it without a single hiccup.

If it was harmful to run the bike at 80 mph
    first it was "in excess of 90mph"...and now it's 80mph. odd.

why didn't eric regear it
    it's spelled Erik

Especially since that motor is a derivation of harley's EVO
    more internet-derived nonsense.

I would trust the engineers at Buell over a bunch of people on a forum.
    hypocrite. you trusted us enough to literally BEG us to guide you thru endless problems and provide solutions. i find that not only incredibly annoying but hypocritical and unappreciative as hell.

My ranger fuel cuts out at 5500.
    motorcycle and pickup truck comparative arguments never cease to amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    If it was harmful to run the bike at 80 mph
    first it was "in excess of 90mph"...and now it's 80mph. odd.

why didn't eric regear it
    it's spelled Erik

Especially since that motor is a derivation of harley's EVO
    more internet-derived nonsense.

hypocrite. you trusted us enough to literally BEG us to guide you thru endless problems and provide solutions. i find that not only incredibly annoying but hypocritical and unappreciative as hell.

My ranger fuel cuts out at 5500.
    motorcycle and pickup truck comparative arguments never cease to amuse me.
    Bahahaha.... schooled.

Also want to clarify, my interstate runs are about 20 miles. Would never push a 5 speed harley at 90+ for more than a few miles. My 6speed bike does happily run 90 with the cruise on at like 3800? Rpm no worries, but I in know way endorse going cross country ripping 95 on a buell.

So, if you trust the engineers over at Buell more than a bunch of people on a forum.... why are you asking a bunch of people on a forum about how to solve your problems? Especially since you have a personal mechanic, who will work for problems with you for weeks and not charge anything.

Do you think there is a correlation between the stack of service receipts you showed on your craigslist ad, and the multiple problems you've had with the bike, and the fact that you proudly beat the snot out of it? You pulled it off, though... you got a premium price and the guy is 2 states away. Call it a win and walk away. On a side note, maybe you should give up HVAC and get into used car sales.

So all this tough talk and you still havent provided any evidence to the contrary? Ive never heard of any bike blowing up from repeated highway use. I commuted to work 15 miles each way, all interstate, for a long time. Did many several hour road trips, more than i can possibly count, all in the 70-90 mph range. Oil and primary fluid never had shavings or fibers in it. Lifters never ticked. No knocks, no fouled plugs. No misfires. I would wager a lot of money on that engine looking brand new on the inside if you tore it down. The only drivetrain related issues i had was a failed clutch, and clutch cable. A wheel bearing went PROBABLY from me washing it too much. Aside from that most of what i did was preventative maintenance.

spent 7 hours total on the side of the road across 2 fridays
    sell the bike for a loss just to be rid of this financial nightmare
    multiple trips to the shop in one month
    This bike is like a money vacuum cleaner
    so many trips to the shop in 1 month
    multiple visits for the new clutch, spent weeks troubleshooting
    i had to order a new trans cover (300 bucks).
    My trust is broken in this bike
    I'm going to be paranoid for a very long time and theres no dollar amount that can fix that.
    hours sweating in illinois sunshine on the side of the road
    We put in a kevlar clutch after the OEM failed at 13k miles.

this one was one of my favorites:

Like I said, mostly trouble free experience.

Damn... 34:19 - forget mountain biking, you should have been a prosecutor! Your honor, I rest my case

Did you get a little giggle out of it? I did.

None of that has to do with an engine or transmission. 1 failed old clutch and a trans cover which im not even sure how that could break.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast