Thread: New to Me Racebike

New to Me Racebike

Recently acquired from a friend a XB12R racebike. He's been out of racing for several years. He had a transmission bearing fail. Took the engine out and had a shop which he said drag raced Harleys go through it. He never got around to putting the bike back together so I received it in pieces.

I assembled the bike and fired it up. I cannot get the bike in to all five gears or neutral. I can get the shift drum rotated so that the button on the end triggers the neutral light, but it is not in neutral and neutral is not to be found anywhere else. I also cannot get all five gears.

Pulled the primary cover off and don't see any obvious issue with the shift pawls.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? I'm not too eager to split the cases as I'm not going to race the bike. I had to take it as a package deal to get back one of my old racebikes. I had planned on selling it as a trackday bike or it could go back on the street.

Any input is much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Williams View Post
    Recently acquired from a friend a XB12R racebike. He's been out of racing for several years. He had a transmission bearing fail. Took the engine out and had a shop which he said drag raced Harleys go through it. He never got around to putting the bike back together so I received it in pieces.

I assembled the bike and fired it up. I cannot get the bike in to all five gears or neutral. I can get the shift drum rotated so that the button on the end triggers the neutral light, but it is not in neutral and neutral is not to be found anywhere else. I also cannot get all five gears.

Pulled the primary cover off and don't see any obvious issue with the shift pawls.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? I'm not too eager to split the cases as I'm not going to race the bike. I had to take it as a package deal to get back one of my old racebikes. I had planned on selling it as a trackday bike or it could go back on the street.

Any input is much appreciated!!
    Did you pull the primary gears to see if the springs are attached and the pawls are oriented correctly on the shift shaft?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-13-2020 at 10:35 PM.

You may need to rotate the output shaft (sprocket) by hand if you are trying to shift through all the gears with the bike off.