Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: main engine nut/stator removal

main engine nut/stator removal

Can anyone confirm right or left hand thread on the main engine nut?
    the one that the stator is behind.
    I've tried both ways and its not moving with a breaker bar and pipe on that for additional leverage.

2009 XB12

Neil: so many times i see incredibly confusing nomenclature online for these 2 large fasteners inside the primary.
    FRONT NUT is the engine sprocket/rotor fastening nut.....REAR NUT simply put is the clutch basket nut
    FRONT NUT is RH threads.....REAR NUT is LH threads.
    2008 and up front nut size was changed to 13/16th i believe...running design change along with rotor change.
    both nuts factory installed with RED loctite. apply a bit of precisely aimed heat to the nut and shaft then remove.
    the magnets inside the rotor can be challenging to overcome. typically i put a pair of 90 degree tipped pliers inside 2 of the rotor holes and use as handles to remove the rotor.

when reinstalling the FRONT NUT, be aware of factory TSB TT 211 dated 9/16/05 that updates the torque spec on 2003 and later Buells.

The previous torque spec was 190-210 Ft-lbs. The new Torque spec is 240-260 Ft-lbs.
    RED LOCTITE required

Thank you Barrett, I appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
    Thank you Barrett, I appreciate your help!

my pleasure Neil. i'm still John. operating under my middle name now ever since 34Nineteen...Cooter...Mike Lowary...Dobe1....and assorted other inmates had me tossed out of here for multiple flare-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    my pleasure Neil. i'm still John. operating under my middle name now ever since 34Nineteen...Cooter...Mike Lowary...Dobe1....and assorted other inmates had me tossed out of here for multiple flare-ups.
    Flare ups are like hemorrhoids - sometimes they just happen and they stink all the same. :P

Flare up you, never !

split-movie-poster-379x600.jpg.....just sayin....

Did someone say 'nuts'??

update:
    I had to use a small propane torch to get it off, then wrapped some straps around the chain and pulled.
    it still wasn't easy-just wanted to share in case someone else comes across this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
    update:
    I had to use a small propane torch to get it off, then wrapped some straps around the chain and pulled.
    it still wasn't easy-just wanted to share in case someone else comes across this problem.
    There is a locking tool to hold the sprockets, but some have used a 4" brass hinge. However the actual tool is only a little more than the price of a new (real) brass hinge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast