Thread: '96 S1 Lightning Resources?

'96 S1 Lightning Resources?

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. A few years ago I purchased a 1996 Buell S1 Lightning. I rode it a fair amount the first year I had it, but it has some issues and it has been sitting for the last two years. I have decided that it is time to go through the bike and get it back in riding condition but I am finding it difficult to find any good resources for information and parts. I love the way it rides and looks so to me it is worth putting some money and time into as long as I can find parts for it. Does anyone have any recommendations on good place to source parts for this bike? The thing that is really keeping me from riding it is the clutch. At parking lot speeds and taking off from a stop it slips and then abruptly engages causing the bike to lurch. I have tried playing with the clutch adjustment with no real improvement, so I would like to just replace the clutch. Is there any place to find the OEM clutch? If not, is there a good aftermarket option? Ultimately I want to do a full rebuild/restore of the bike but I figure that I should start with the stuff that is keeping it from being ridden first. Any recommendations and help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you are having transmission issues more than clutch problems. The motor is very similar to a Sportster so just about any Harley shop *should* be able to work on it . If they actually want to is another story.

Thanks for the reply! Perhaps you are correct and it is the transmission, but either way I would like to do the work myself which is why I am trying to find a good source for parts.

The transmission on a S1 comes out pretty easily. Once you get the primary cover off, there is about 10 more fasteners to remove until you’re holding the transmission in your hands.

At that point, the choice is yours. Dig in yourself, or take it to your Harley shop and tell them it’s a for a 97 Sportster.

A source for parts? Do you not have a Harley dealer nearby?

Sounds easy enough! I do have a Harley dealer local to me, I guess I just didn't realize that all of the engine and transmission parts are that interchangeable. Is the clutch the same as a 97 Sportster?

What about Buell specific parts? Anywhere to find those or is eBay my best bet? The previous owner rigged something up for the rear suspension and I would like to return it to the stock setup.

I have looked online for a rear shock/spring assembly and haven't had much luck.

Thanks for the advise thus far. As you can probably tell, I am not very familiar with the bike so any help is greatly appreciated.

Twin motorcycles has a replacement shock. I have one on my bike and it works great.

Clutch replacement video

https://youtu.be/g8BMUy-pTBs

That Twin Motorcycles website is exactly what I have been looking for! I could spend hours on that site, and probably way too much money also...

I will check out that video as well. Thank you so much for your help. If you have any other websites that you would recommend, I would appreciate it.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...ghtning-models

As far as I know, all Harley dealers are now able to order Buell parts from HD. If they want to, is another story... and you will likely need to bring part #'s into the dealer.

Remember aside from the motor, which is based on a Sportster motor, only a handful of parts were shared with Harleys.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-18-2020 at 03:03 PM.