Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newer motorcycles?

Newer motorcycles?

Is it just me, or are most of the newer motorcycles being released just "meh"? The tech, performance and other aspects of the newer bikes is pretty amazing, but I find it hard to get excited about them.

Out of all the newer bikes out there, only a couple I find interesting... interesting enough to own... and more than half of these are 10+ years old.

BMW R9T
    XL1200CX
    XR1200
    Buells, of course.
    SV650 (1st gen naked)
    Ducati Monster (air cooled)
    CBR1100XX

Even the EBR's really don't float my boat.

Did my tastes just change as I got older, or are newer motorcycles just "meh"?

You're just getting old and grumpy!
    Time for some singletrack to cheer you up.

I just got a KTM Duke 790 and loving it. About 10hp more; 10ftlb less torque. Supposedly only 20lbs less than an XB9, but feels a whole lot lighter and handles beautifully.
    They did something to the ignition timing to make a parallel twin feel just like a V-twin.
    I know, the preying mantis headlights are a turnoff for some. But I like them, just like the bug eyed look of our Buells.

The new 890 is even better.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...t-ride-review/

Or how about a tangent for weekend discussion... What are the really bad bikes out there?
    Every magazine review for any new bike is always breathless about how awesome everything is. I know they don't want to bash the hands that feed them, but still.
    You guys really know a lot about motorcycles, with a huge breadth of wisdom and experience. What were the big misses over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    You're just getting old and grumpy!
    Time for some singletrack to cheer you up.
    This is so true. I gave my singlespeed a thorough cleaning last weekend. It is just crazy hot here right now to be out of shape and on the trail.

My next ride will likely have the new Steps E9000 motor.

If you wanna de-rail this to mountain bikes, we can do that too. Its not like its the first time!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-21-2020 at 06:19 PM.

I was looking at CBR's on the Honda webpage to see what they are like, after young scooter commented about getting one. On paper, I was pretty wow-ed by the performance and features, but I couldn't see ever owning one. Nothing wrong with the bike, as it seemed pretty awesome and is probably amazing in every aspect, but there was no "emotional connection".

At least I'm not as old as ShAARPughn.

New Honda CBR would be my choice for a track only bike if I were 28 not 68. I'm with you though. I'm more of a vintage guy both cars and motorcycles. They have good looks and soul. Now stuff not so much The Duel Sports are fugly.
    Last edited by outthere; 08-22-2020 at 12:13 AM.

I feel the same AARP about new cars and even trucks too. New trucks are a joke, spec sheets that read well past what any owner of a light duty truck needs, but pathetic skeletons of the workhorses they used to be. Glossy ads of men in hard hats doing manly things with yellow machinery in the background, UGH. So, you're taking that shiny black $70,000 Denali to dump concrete blocks in the back huh? Puuleeeze.

There isn't any new vehicle I can afford, that I would want to own

I'm seriously considering a late model Husky 501 for dirt and getting So-Mo wheels for small tracks Maybe a Tiger 800 for more ADV stuff? But I hate looking through windshields and Stella just keeps proving she's way too good at that.

So, great question Aaron. If you had to spend up to $20,000 to have one brand new motorcycle that you had to live with everyday...?

I was thinking about an EBR and decided on my Suzuki B-King last year as it was only sold for one year in this country which was 2008, handles very good and plenty fast for me, very good for sport cruising.

I would like to get a super moto, and though I'm not into doing wheelie's they look like a lot of fun but I'm not interested in buying new.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-24-2020 at 03:01 AM.

SM are great if your roads are trash and can stick to back roads. They will make your teeth fall out droning along at the same RPM for miles.

Well I still have all of my teeth so if I end up getting one I'll make sure to look for a relatively smooth running engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    So, great question Aaron. If you had to spend up to $20,000 to have one brand new motorcycle that you had to live with everyday...?

If I HAD to spend $20k on a NEW bike, it would either be a BMW R9T or a Harley Sport Glide. I think I would enjoy owning the R9T more, but the Sport Glide would probably be a better choice for everyday use for me.

My biggest issue is, at $20k it stops becoming a toy and is something more serious than that. I think I would have more fun on a $5k bike than a $20k bike. I don't see myself dropping that much on a motorcycle anytime soon.

I do agree about new trucks being too nice to be "trucks". However, I do like where new trucks are going these days as luxo-haulers and rivalling cars in luxury and ride quality. If I needed a truck to haul concrete blocks with, the used market is full of them. Everytime you see a clapped out work truck, remember that at one point, that was someone's point of pride, and they may have even struggled to make payments on it.

njloco- B-king huh? I may have to take a closer look at those.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast