Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on picking a Lightning

Advice needed on picking a Lightning

I'm 61 and in the past 10 years have had a Monster 750 and a Sportster Roadster. I've wanted a Buell XB Lightning, and found 2 bikes that look good. One is a 2007 XB9CX and the other an 2008 XB12SCG. My usual street riding is an hour or few hours of aimlessly riding around back roads. I'm also short, so the SCG appeals to me. I rode the CX briefly, and it was fine. The more upright the riding position, the better. When I tried to get the riding position of my Monster more upright, it just felt awkward. So I tried the Roadster, but I really want a Lightning.

Pros/Cons of the bikes? From reading here, it seems that a 2008 or later is better, so the 2008 seems the way to go unless there's a big difference in price. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KIKH400 View Post
    I'm 61 and in the past 10 years have had a Monster 750 and a Sportster Roadster. I've wanted a Buell XB Lightning, and found 2 bikes that look good. One is a 2007 XB9CX and the other an 2008 XB12SCG. My usual street riding is an hour or few hours of aimlessly riding around back roads. I'm also short, so the SCG appeals to me. I rode the CX briefly, and it was fine. The more upright the riding position, the better. When I tried to get the riding position of my Monster more upright, it just felt awkward. So I tried the Roadster, but I really want a Lightning.

Pros/Cons of the bikes? From reading here, it seems that a 2008 or later is better, so the 2008 seems the way to go unless there's a big difference in price. Thanks
    I've owned both, and the Buell will run circles around the Roadster... even after doing a 1250 kit, cams, intake, exhaust and tuner I was able to close up the gap, but the stock Buell would still outdo the Roadster.

I would recommend the ScG over the CX due to the lower height of the SCG and the fact that it is a 2008 which had an improved engine (but the same power).

You can achieve the same riding position with the CX and SCG by changing out parts as they both use the same frame, one just has shorter suspension. I had a XB12S which I converted to SCG suspension and back. The only difference was that one would bottom out on speed bumps and drag on steep driveways if I wasnt careful... just like driving a lowered car vs standard height.

Thanks. The SCG sold and I bought the XB9SX.

You can always lower the SX if you regret not getting the SCG. When I lowered my XB12S, all I needed was a shock, forks and a kickstand. You could modify the kickstand if you have access to a welder, and probably lower the forks with longer spacers.

I have the XB9SX and I love that thing. Mine's an '05

What do you consider short ?

Btw, I’m 5’6” and have my dirt bikes lowered. The XB9SX with what I think is a low seat (it came with 2 seats) is fine. No need to lower in my view

Only reason I asked was many people today consider 5'9" short and I have no problems on either my Ully or my SS.

Is your Ss the later one with the taller suspension? I thought my 06 was the perfect height with me being 5’10.

It's an 07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast