Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb12r isolator mount

Why are you dwelling on our Vulcan friends? It's a rare process with instructions only passed down from the Vulcan Confederacy to worthy individuals who have passed Khans-wan

Or just find a bushing with an outer shell to press in, like a leaf spring bushing. Burn out the old one and Bam. Durometer is going to be VERY specific and probably even directional. Look at how the stock ones are made.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 6.43.12 PM.png

Gotta go, I'm late for Pon Farr

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I was thinking of simply replacing the existing rubber bushing on the stock piece if that's a possibility. That would certainly involve the least amount of work, but as Cooter suggested, requires researching what that vulcanization process might look like. It'll likely also involve removing the failed rubber material from the isolator assembly, which may or may not be a PITA.
    Reproducing the metal framework isn’t very difficult, but I’m not sure about the rubber bit at all. A bit of context... I’m an engineer with access to numerous CNC machines. I’ve fabricated numerous components for my Buells and other vehicles from time to time. I use my XB daily since I bought it in 2007 and plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. At 50K miles on the odometer I’ve replaced the front isolator only once, but I’m also a cheapskate and won’t be paying $150 for a part that really costs about $20 in materials to manufacture. $60, sure, but that ain’t happenin these days.
    Why not just find a readily available bushing and redesign/modify the mount? Even you mention that redoing the metal part of the mount "isn't very difficult" and after all you are " and an engineer with access to numerous CNC machines" and have no issue "fabricating numerous components for your Buells and other vehicles" , but for some reason you are focused on reusing the metal parts and trying to redesign the bushing, which "you're not sure about at all" and "requires research into the vulcanization process" and "may or may not be a PITA".

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Why not just find a readily available bushing and redesign/modify the mount? Even you mention that redoing the metal part of the mount "isn't very difficult" and after all you are " and an engineer with access to numerous CNC machines" and have no issue "fabricating numerous components for your Buells and other vehicles" , but for some reason you are focused on reusing the metal parts and trying to redesign the bushing, which "you're not sure about at all" and "requires research into the vulcanization process" and "may or may not be a PITA".
    If I had to redesign the isolator I'd have to model the entire frame like Buell did and run it through Cosmos or whatever CAD simulation software was used to isolate the vibrations - that is a full blown mechanical engineering team effort that takes months. The reason I would avoid re-engineering the metal assembly is because it has already been engineered and is a proven design. It will be simpler to deal with replacing the rubber insert and after all, we'd rather be riding than repairing our junk, right? I don't have any experience with rubber isolators, but I have good friends who do so will inquire with them in January when we return to work.

If I had to redesign the isolator I'd have to model the entire frame like Buell did and run it through Cosmos or whatever CAD simulation software was used to isolate the vibrations - that is a full blown mechanical engineering team effort that takes months. The reason I would avoid re-engineering the metal assembly is because it has already been engineered and is a proven design. It will be simpler to deal with replacing the rubber insert and after all, we'd rather be riding than repairing our junk, right? I don't have any experience with rubber isolators, but I have good friends who do so will inquire with them in January when we return to work.

Oh, ok... so this is going to require a team of engineers to modify a bracket that is already a proven design? I'm not an engineer, so I dont know these things. It seemed like reproducing the metal framework wouldnt be very difficult, especially knowing that you have fabricated many parts for Buells and other vehicles. Ok, well I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of this, so keep us posted.

You're making mountains from molehills.

Find a cheap bushing with the right durometer and approximate size, then (if you even have too) slightly modify the mount to accept it.
    Here is one failed attempt. The link has the bracket CAD:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...isolator/page6
    Perhaps a slight change to the ID of the big hole is all you need.
    The aluminum isn't part of the flex design so you can leave Cosmos alone.

Or just buy one. Or two. Or ten.

Dammit Cooter, quit hacking up your El Camino and read what this guy took the time to spell out.

I'd have to model the entire frame like Buell did and run it through Cosmos or whatever CAD simulation software was used to isolate the vibrations - that is a full blown mechanical engineering team effort that takes months.
    What part of "engineering team" and "months" do you not get?

Also, why are you so intent pushing your consumerism dogma on him? He's not going to spend $150 on a new one.

He said "full blown" (snicker).

Because THAT doesn't happen too often to a mechanical engineer. (guffaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    He said "full blown" (snicker).
    Ha! Full blown. Thats some funny stuff right there.

Erik Buell patented the isoplanar engine mounting system - it takes some effort (whether it's "full blown" or not is relative) to obtain a patent; it certainly required some good ol' analysis of some kind to figure out how much metal strength, stiffness, and the material selection that's appropriate for the application in addition to the rubber bit in there. I'm not qualified to match the design rigor used by Buell. A simple bushing replacement is as far as I would go before shelling out $150-200 for an eBay NOS part. These front isolator mounting assemblies are a bit of an Achilles heel for the XB, so until someone begins to market a replacement part, XBs are going to start becoming difficult to service.

Thanks for pointing out TPEHAK's attempt, I do recall that... the conclusion is basically that the isolator is a lot more complex than it looks, right?

the conclusion is basically that the isolator is a lot more complex than it looks, right?
    so, what was all the business about being an engineer and having access to all these CNC machines and building all these custom parts for Buells and other vehicles?

This is like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer talks about building the "levels" but never does.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast