Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb12r isolator mount

Xb12r isolator mount

hey guys, hitting you all up from Sydney, Australia. just left 2 of my local HD dealers and both advised HD is no longer importing the front isolator mount for my model.
    the only second hand ones i have seen are either worse looking then the one im replacing or $12,000,000,000 per mount.
    any aussie locals or internationals got one or possibly two spare isolator mounts i could buy from you? (the second is for a back up down the road)
    anyway, id appreciate it alot if someone is able to help me out

for sale e-bay, new units for $140 US. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Front-I...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by outthere; 08-23-2020 at 02:22 PM.

I just got one off eBay nos for $95.00 plus shipping. The one Cooter found is a good price to would consider that one to. I tried a couple of dealers and was told NA.

I think it may be time to design a process to renew the stock isolator mounts ourselves. Anyone familiar the rubber vulcanization process?

Or maybe the time to buy one or two before Vintage sells through them??? There are 72 left at Vintage.

It’s not like they are going to get less expensive if someone tries to reproduce them.

How ironic. I just bought 71 engine isolators from them... Hmmm...

Guess the price is going up faster than we thought!

Reproducing the metal framework isn’t very difficult, but I’m not sure about the rubber bit at all. A bit of context... I’m an engineer with access to numerous CNC machines. I’ve fabricated numerous components for my Buells and other vehicles from time to time. I use my XB daily since I bought it in 2007 and plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. At 50K miles on the odometer I’ve replaced the front isolator only once, but I’m also a cheapskate and won’t be paying $150 for a part that really costs about $20 in materials to manufacture. $60, sure, but that ain’t happenin these days.

The CAD for the bracket has been done several times already, looks like you just volunteered to research bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Reproducing the metal framework isn’t very difficult, but I’m not sure about the rubber bit at all. A bit of context... I’m an engineer with access to numerous CNC machines. I’ve fabricated numerous components for my Buells and other vehicles from time to time. I use my XB daily since I bought it in 2007 and plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. At 50K miles on the odometer I’ve replaced the front isolator only once, but I’m also a cheapskate and won’t be paying $150 for a part that really costs about $20 in materials to manufacture. $60, sure, but that ain’t happenin these days.

Then why not go find a premade bushing and design a custom Cnc mount to fit it? I’d pay $60 for that, but it needs to exceed factory quality in every aspect.

Chop chop!!!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-27-2020 at 05:06 PM.

I was thinking of simply replacing the existing rubber bushing on the stock piece if that's a possibility. That would certainly involve the least amount of work, but as Cooter suggested, requires researching what that vulcanization process might look like. It'll likely also involve removing the failed rubber material from the isolator assembly, which may or may not be a PITA.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast