Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb12r isolator mount

I don't recall committing to anything. I'm certainly exploring options, but after reading TPEHAK's failed attempt I'm admittedly a bit skeptical that I would have any better luck. That guy's attempt at designing a rebuildable isolator assembly was a strong effort. Numerous experiments with varying durometer rubber and polyurethane materials still resulted in either failure of the mount or inadequate isolation. It's possible that he's succeeded and we just don't know about it as well. Either way, given the complexity of the vibration isolation in this case, design/fab skill and access to machine shop equipment alone are not going to help here.

That being said, I did save my old failed front isolator. I'll have to take a closer look at it after I unpack all my junk (recent move).

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I don't recall committing to anything. I'm certainly exploring options, but after reading TPEHAK's failed attempt I'm admittedly a bit skeptical that I would have any better luck. That guy's attempt at designing a rebuildable isolator assembly was a strong effort. Numerous experiments with varying durometer rubber and polyurethane materials still resulted in either failure of the mount or inadequate isolation. It's possible that he's succeeded and we just don't know about it as well. Either way, given the complexity of the vibration isolation in this case, design/fab skill and access to machine shop equipment alone are not going to help here.

That being said, I did save my old failed front isolator. I'll have to take a closer look at it after I unpack all my junk (recent move).

I think TPEHAK only "failed" because the mount became available again for sale. I'm guessing when he realized the amount of time and effort involved in dialing in the design, vs the price of a new one, he just shelved it for later and went back to his 240 wheel project.

I would just use a torch to burn out the old rubber from the isolator mount, take a few measurements and hit up some companies that make suspension components like control arm bushings. I'm sure you can at least find one that is close to the ID of the mount and just modify the mount to fit it. Maybe you will be lucky and find an exact fit.

However, the amount of time spent researching this is probably better spent just buying a new one. There are still 72 left at Cooters EBR Salvage Yard and Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I think TPEHAK only "failed" because the mount became available again for sale. I'm guessing when he realized the amount of time and effort involved in dialing in the design, vs the price of a new one, he just shelved it for later and went back to his 240 wheel project.

I would just use a torch to burn out the old rubber from the isolator mount, take a few measurements and hit up some companies that make suspension components like control arm bushings. I'm sure you can at least find one that is close to the ID of the mount and just modify the mount to fit it. Maybe you will be lucky and find an exact fit.

However, the amount of time spent researching this is probably better spent just buying a new one. There are still 72 left at Cooters EBR Salvage Yard and Brewery.

Like this:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-849...origin=keyword

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it has the dimensions of the bushing.

I removed my front mount while doing my rocker cover gaskets and it appears to be slightly shagged - the rubber has started to tear, not noticeable on the bike but you can clearly see it when off, probably about 1/4 of the way through. I see Vintage Parts now has 66 of these in stock but no way to see pricing or order them. Do I order one through H-D ?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by llama View Post
    I removed my front mount while doing my rocker cover gaskets and it appears to be slightly shagged - the rubber has started to tear, not noticeable on the bike but you can clearly see it when off, probably about 1/4 of the way through. I see Vintage Parts now has 66 of these in stock but no way to see pricing or order them. Do I order one through H-D ?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Yes, you will need to order through HD... at least thats how we do it in the US.

Yes, you will need to order through HD... at least thats how we do it in the US.
    Is this more of an age or mileage issue, or a little bit of both? I'm about to rotate the motor (for the last 6 months), and may just pick one up in advance to avoid later availability issues. My 07 has 16k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Is this more of an age or mileage issue, or a little bit of both? I'm about to rotate the motor (for the last 6 months), and may just pick one up in advance to avoid later availability issues. My 07 has 16k miles.
    I have a spare one at home. If you rotate the motor and find out you need it, let me know and I will get you mine. Just make sure to order one and give it to me when it arrives. This way the bike isnt hung up waiting for parts if needed.

I have a spare one at home. If you rotate the motor and find out you need it, let me know and I will get you mine. Just make sure to order one and give it to me when it arrives. This way the bike isnt hung up waiting for parts if needed.
    Will do, thanks!

You should pick it up in person so you can drink all his beer.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast