Thread: Highway breakdown

Highway breakdown

So, I just wanted to post a thread real quick about my story today. I was on the highway finishing up my about an hour and a half ride doing like 70 miles an hour and all of a sudden the bike shut down. Tachometer was stuck at two and a half RPMs and the speedometer at 60 miles per hour I had no idea what was happening there was no power to the bike. So I went on YouTube and lo and behold I found something that was talking about fuses. I went into my fuse box and apparently there is a 10 and a 15 amp extra fuse that's in there just for something like this. I started swapping out the 15 amp fuse with the ones that were already in place and boom I was back in business. something as simple as that can shut your bike down and something as simple as 5 minutes checking fuses can get you back up running again. Happy riding!

And now to find out why it happened. Blown fuse ? If so why ? Or dirty connections ?

as Josh mentioned....you immediately need to determine what circuit popped its fuse...and why? just a matter of time till it happens again. a fuse is not only an electrical safety-feature...it's warning you of an existing problem.

the "hanging gauge needles" clearly indicates an existing problem within the key-switch relay circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    And now to find out why it happened. Blown fuse ? If so why ? Or dirty connections ?
    I am not sure how to go about diagnosing this issue.

O.k., so you would start at the fuses circuit that you replaced and then successfully got it running. You can do a search here on checking electrical problems or YouTube get yourself a decent multimeter and start learning, it's not all that difficult and the more your involved with it the easier it gets, ask me how I know.