Thread: She left me stuck on the side of the road

She left me stuck on the side of the road

I stopped at a traffic light on Tuesday and my XB9 just shuts off. Busy intersection right at 5 o'clock rush hour. Won't start back up. She would turn over but not run. Called a friend. He came with a trailer and brought me home. Fuel pump fuse had popped. Replaced the fuse. Tried to start the bike(1st try), would not start. I checked the fuel pump fuse to see if it popped again, but it was OK. Tried to start again, fired right up and then ran for about a minute then shut off. Tried to start again, won't start. Fuel pump fuse still good. The bike is a 2009 CityX with 8k miles. Fuel pump bad???

Levan: home now where you can attend to it? if so then do this for basics. before you do CAREFULLY check both the ignition and the ECM fuses in fusebox. both tied directly to start/run circuitry.
    1-fuel pump fuse is 10A. temporarily replace with 15A for testing
    2-remove airbox cover and airbox lid exposing airbox base-plate and TB assembly/throttle plate
    3-place quality charger onto battery. turn on highest setting. tender won't get the job done. key to on...kill switch to on...listen for pump to prime. if it primes then try to start. if NO prime...take handle end of biggest screwdriver you have and wrap it against the exposed portion of the pump body being careful not to strike the wiring harness. now see if it primes. if it does you have a faulty pump
    4-if negative to all of #3....with key off hold throttle wide open and dribble small amount of fuel into TB assembly. small being teaspoon. close throttle...key and kill switch to ON...hold throttle 1/4 open and try to start. if it now starts you again confirmed a faulty pump. if NOT it's loss of spark.
    report back with findings.

for what it's worth if your SX has seen 11 year steady diet of 10% ethanol fuel....in all likelihood pump is failing.

To further check to see if its a spark problem follow the procedure below carefully.

1. Remove known good coil from running bike.
    2. Remove suspect coil from non running bike. (Be sure to mark with an "X" so you dont mix them up).
    3. Put known good coil back on running bike.
    4. Put suspect coil back on non running bike.
    5. Reassure travel companion that you know what you're doing. Embellish a bit if need be.

Hahahahahahaaaaaaa lmao

Thanks John. Very helpful as always. Too many projects right now to deal with this. But it ain't so bad. I'll get to it one day. Til then it will be the Interceptor or the Kawi 300X

VFR800.jpg
    Kawasaki Versys 300X 2018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    To further check to see if its a spark problem follow the procedure below carefully.

1. Remove known good coil from running bike.
    2. Remove suspect coil from non running bike. (Be sure to mark with an "X" so you dont mix them up).
    3. Put known good coil back on running bike.
    4. Put suspect coil back on non running bike.
    5. Reassure travel companion that you know what you're doing. Embellish a bit if need be.

Don't forget to check for spark by grounding the spark plug electrode to your sweaty arm