Thread: Taller front tire?

Taller front tire?

Someone posted a video on one of the facebook Buell Ulysses groups about using a 120/90/17 (Shinko 705) instead of the 120/70/17 that is standard. The 90 gives you 24mm more sidewall so basically it turns the 17 into more of a 19 front.

My question is... has anyone actually done this? If so, how did it work out?

I have only had my Buell for a few months. I am due for tires soon and I recently went down some really rutty dirt roads and I was wishing for a bigger, dirt oriented front tire.

While the ully is very capable off road on hard pack, the biggest problem with the ully off road is it's weight, way more than the front tire size, just like all the other big adventure bikes even the brand's with the larger size tires. My opinion is you'll be sacrificing road worthiness and really not be gaining off road ability.
    Please prove me wrong but remember, pictures or even better, videos speak louder than words.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Theres a LOT more to think about than just bigger is better. A dramatic change like that would warrant attention to the rear as well. IMO a tire in the proper size, suited to your use, would benefit you much more.

Sorry my bro NJ, I disagree that the Uly is heavy (425lbs). Compared to a dirt bike, yes. But for ADV bikes of the same size, its fairly svelte! I won't mention brand names but the current 1250cc king-of-the-hill adventure bike is over 125lbs heavier than a Uly. Thats one whole girlfriend worth of extra weight!
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-29-2020 at 05:14 AM.

Yeah, I am worried about how it will handle on the street.

Here is the video. Sorry it's on facebook and I couldn't find it on their youtube channel.

https://m.facebook.com/cross.trainin...6619085341423/

Edit: Found the youtube video
    Last edited by spigatelli; 08-29-2020 at 01:50 PM.

I didn't mean to indicate that it was heavier than the other adventure bikes only that it was heavy for off road and the weight is not really distributed well for an off road bike. The KTM 790 adventure weighs in at just under 450lbs wet, but the design of the bike was for off roading so it easier to ride and while there are many videos of it doing just that, try to find videos of the ully or even the STT which is lighter doing similar things.

To me, this does not look like the person on the Buell is having a good time but rather working very hard.

https://youtu.be/16DIkJ37dvY

There really isn't very much one can do about weight, too heavy is too heavy and unless your extremely strong your going to feel that weight.

Now we can always start talking about the low mounted muffler and trying to do water crossings.

Don't get me wrong, not long ago I'm the guy that wanted to try and compare the ully to other adventure bikes by going to some of there off road meet ups, your the guys that kind of talked me out of it plus the fact that I'm old and "a man's got to know his limitations" !

P.S. As far as street handling goes, I'll bet it would run rings around most of today's big adventure bikes maybe not necessarily in speed but in handling especially filtering through heavy traffic.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-29-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Ya NJ, I'd want a 700-900 sized bike for true ADV and a 400-700 for any real off-roading. I'll leave the 1200 plus cc's for getting coffee

I've had Stella out in the dirt a bit (fire roads) and you are so right about the weight. It's not 'heavy' per se, and I pack pretty light, but even as a big guy I need to work harder than I want. Street tires are TERRIBLE in the dirt and the TKC-80's are difficult on the highway. I'll still bolt the TKC-80's on and go see Utah. Maybe hook up with parts of the TAT I'll stop before I get to the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT).

You're lucky to even get to the mailbox and back with that undependable Buell

I like the new T7....

20200502_130255.jpg I got lost trying to find my mailbox