Thread: How to reset ECM to factory settings?

How to reset ECM to factory settings?

Hi fellow Buell fans. I own a 2008 low milage xb12ss, when I purchased the bike it had a aftermarket exhaust and I requested the stock exhaust be reinstalled before purchase.

The bike has never run smoothly in the 4-5 years sense the purchase. Bucking, back firing into the air box and feeling as if it will die going down the rode and sometimes it will shut off.

I assumed it was do to the bikes low miles (still in bracke in and not being run) but it know has around 3500, sea foamed a few times, and had to change front spark plug. I also changed the heat censor on the rear cylinder. I can smell gas in the exhaust and a mechanic friend and I went throw the sensor checks as well as the bike was coding.

Long and short I believe at this point the bike was tuned for the aftermarket pipe (I'm aware the computer has a level of adjustment accolade pipe swaps) but something doesn't seem right and the last thing on my list to check off is to reset back to factory settings.

I have owned a 06 Xb12ss so familiar with there temperament, but that doesn't mean I know everything either? Please let me know if you have run into the same issue and how to reset the ECM?

Thanks and stay safe!

Go buy a Buelltooth adapter from Cooters buddy at revision moto, and ask him if he has an stock map.

It sounds like you have a bigger problem than a map from how you are describing your issue.

Send the ecm to IDSPD.com (Tim at IDS) and have them put it back to it's factory state. Absolutely THE best way to know it was done right.

Both of those are very good options. If you're cheap and mechanically handy, Revision-Moto can send you a stock tune. If you aren't sure of your skills, the IDS option is MUCH better for you. You might also be able to utilize your local H-D dealer for this. They can wipe the ECM and upgrade the firmware to BUE-2D all at once.

Your Buell should run well, no matter what the mileage is. There is no running-poorly-because-its-new malarky. Being fuel injected, it should run well hot/cold/elevation whatever, that'a the whole point of F.I.

IMHO, I suggest to find the problem first, then replace the part that tests to be bad. Otherwise it WILL be an expensive, frustrating, time consuming, guessing game. Maybe you get lucky? Maybe you don't
    In my experience, most aftermarket pipe tunes mimic the Buell 'Race' tune pretty closely and I have had no problem running that 'Race' tune with a stock muffler. YMMV.

Start here (the 2009 manual will be fine):
    https://www.buellmods.com/#TabbedContent

During your diagnosis, the free program ECMDroid (GooglePlay store) is a great tool for checking sensor outputs and will even swap fuel maps if it's determined that the issue. It uses a a wireless Bluetooth connection to communicate with your Android device (If you're iPhone, get a tablet or burner phone for $35 or less). I like the bluetooth dongle I got from Buelltooth, now Revision Moto.