Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 06 XB12x fork swap options?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: hope this helps. several good sets on ebay.

there is no such thing as a 2005 XB-X model. it first appeared in 2006
    2006-2007 forks and triple clamps top and bottom exactly the same. the fork stanchion OD is 43mm
    2008-end of model run forks and triple clamps the same but different than prior years. the fork stanchion OD is 47mm
    2006 fork springs are slightly lighter spring rate than the 2007 springs.

the 08-up forks have an offset front axle. The axle is pushed rear of the center of the 3/8" to offset the 08-up triples holding the forks forward the steering neck 3/8" more than the 06-07 triples, so that the combination of the trees and forks achieves the same rake and trail as the 06-07 models. the complete set-ups being the forks...triple clamps...steering stems can be interchanged with no adverse affect on handling. the steering neck and bearing dimensions exactly the same for all year X and XT models.

That’s great news! Thank you very much! I’ll purchase the stem, tree, and forks of an 08+ x/xt.

Very Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by JaeOneDa View Post
    There’s always one like you...

I’m not asking anyone to find parts for me. I’m asking about switching fork sets. Your assumptions, I’m sure, have once again proved you to be... well, unhelpful to say the least.

VPI does have a set - only dealers can purchase. My dealer is unresponsive - located in Hawaii so options are limited.

So, if you have recommendations on a fork set that I could use on my 06 XB12x (putting another years triple tree and fork on my 06), I would be happy to hear what you have to say.

I found a single (actually two), brand new, RH side for sale to the public. But there's always one like me. I'd tell you where I found it, but I'm unhelpful to say the least.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-01-2020 at 11:47 PM.

New to Buells here. I'm currently shopping for fork replacement for my 09' XT front forks that were installed on my 06'XB12X. The PO damaged both fork cap internal threads beyond help. But I'm noticing that the 09'XT(pretty sure but not positive) forks that I've removed DO NOT have the 3/8" offset that you mention. So now I'm confused; which seems much easier these days for me. Could you shed any light here for me?

2006-2007 forks and triple clamps top and bottom exactly the same. the fork stanchion OD is 43mm
    2008-end of model run forks and triple clamps the same but different than prior years. the fork stanchion OD is 47mm
    2006 fork springs are slightly lighter spring rate than the 2007 springs.

the 08-up forks have an offset front axle. The axle is pushed rear of the center of the 3/8" to offset the 08-up triples holding the forks forward the steering neck 3/8" more than the 06-07 triples, so that the combination of the trees and forks achieves the same rake and trail as the 06-07 models. the complete set-ups being the forks...triple clamps...steering stems can be interchanged with no adverse affect on handling. the steering neck and bearing dimensions exactly the same for all year X and XT models.

suspect you're confused Sir because an XT model is NOT a Ulysses. it is a Touring Model. factory designation is XT. Ulysses factory designation is X. different parts content.

2008-2010 all X and XP(police model) LEFT front fork assembly part # is J0121.3AK
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" RIGHT """""""""""""""""""""""" # is JO122.3AK

view image. see the offset?

09 tubes.jpg

Barrett the Buell whisperer

The forks that I've just recently removed off my 06' XB12X Ulysses are #J0121.1AV & J0122.1AV, and they are straight; without the 3/8" offset. PO installed these forks, I suspect, to benefit from the progressive spring, better road manners, and the lower 1"stance. These newer 09'XB12XT? forks have the 43mm tubes instead of the 47mm that are on the newer models, so they fit right on the 06' Ulysses. Am I still confused about this? Am trying to get up to speed w/ you guys, but isn't an XB12XT a Ulysses; a touring Ulysses,no?
    suspect you're confused Sir because an XT model is NOT a Ulysses. it is a Touring Model. factory designation is XT. Ulysses factory designation is X. different parts content.

2008-2010 all X and XP(police model) LEFT front fork assembly part # is J0121.3AK
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" RIGHT """""""""""""""""""""""" # is JO122.3AK

view image. see the offset?

09 tubes.jpg
    Last edited by TheWood; 09-23-2020 at 04:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Barrett;623840]Sir: hope this helps. several good sets on ebay.

not what my VIN plate saysbuellplate.jpg

[QUOTE=leadenwinter;624850]

not what my VIN plate saysbuellplate.jpg

5 is an international market XB model.
    E8 is a UK-specific XB model designation
    10th digit in VIN designates model year....6 is a 2006.

hate to burst your bubble but THAT'S what your VIN plate says.

There are some early model 2003 XB9's with VIN stickers that show production dates of 2002.

So, yeah... they probably build XB-X models in 2005 to release as a 2006 model, in the year 2005.

Also read here:

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...mber-breakdown

Don't doubt the 'fringe.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-15-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Haha - the “FRINGE” has spoken:
    964F7B90-0B45-43AE-99FB-012FE1EA56A4.jpeg
    Also known as the inventor of the elusive "hell fire exhaust", Wollie Smucker (PA)....

Last edited by Dobe1; 10-15-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast