Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 XB 12 STT fan issues

2007 XB 12 STT fan issues

I am a new Buell owner. I purchased my bike a few months ago from the original owner. The bike has been running fine. However, a few days ago, I blew a fuse to my fan when I shut the bike off. I did some research after I blew a second fuse. It turns out my rear rocker cover is leaking and oil got on the fan. I have learned that NOS fans are not available or at least I have had no luck finding one. I found SPAL has fans that appear similar even though their model number is slightly different. My question is do I purchase the SPAL 3013013 pusher fan or the 30103011. Puller fan? Also, any suggestions on how I remove the fan blade with out damaging it and the best way to reattach the blade to the new motor? Any help is greatly appreciated!

You should be able to go into the search on the forum and find what you are looking for. I remember some guys replacing the fan with another spal. Maybe someone will chime in.

Sir: correct part # is SPAL paddle fan # 30103013....it is the 5.2 inch model
    NOTE: the first time i did this mod i removed the 3 bolts holding stock faulty fan assembly to shroud...then cut the shroud in 3 small places to remove. alot of tedious work.
    the next time i simply built a small support for the fan hub...marked its orientation with sharpie and punch mark...pressed the fan off the motor shaft....and installed in that order. do NOT be ham-fisted when doing this or you'll likely bitch up the fan and/or motor shaft. it's a press fit.
    ALSO....you'll need to clip the harness plug from faulty fan and transfer it over to new SPAL fan. every OEM XB fan i've ever seen has 1 yellow/1 black wire on the plug. new SPAL unit has 1 red/1 black. match your yellow to the red....black to black.
    Last edited by Barrett; 09-08-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Awesome and perfect instructions ^^^^

as usual

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. Removing the fan sounds a bit dicey. Once the motor is supported, its simply punching out the old motor/shaft then pressing the fan back on the new motor. Is there a notch that prevents the fan from slipping on the shaft?

Just do it.

If you take it off the bike and follow Johns sage advise you'll be fine. It will be easier to picture what he's telling you rather than guessing.

You are rotating the engine and fixing that leaky rear rocker box gasket, right? Or this new fan will die in short order (obviously).

I replaced the fan motor with a new SPAL from an 1125r fan and I didn't cut the XB housing.

Use a punch or small, thin Phillips screwdriver and tap the motor off the blades. Then use a socket to tap the old blades back onto the new motor. Cut and swap over the plug and you are done.

Make sure you check the oil level, if it's too high that is what could also cause the rear rocker cover to have leaked in the first place.

You should put a big "X" on the bad motor so you don't mix them up.

A really really big x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast