Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank breather 1125r

Hi Cooter,
    Firstly Great Videos links to NCCR & really interesting. Thanks for those.
    I'm assuming that you still don't think the tank vents whilst riding despite the fact that pressure builds all the time the petrol is moving about & also think that the the ball in the relief valve only works whilst parked?
    I can assure you this is not the case on either of my 1125r's.
    I am aware that trail braking is done with the front brake & this is the reason why the fuel gets pushed to the front of the frame & the vent especially on downhill lefties like I said. A couple of drips of fuel in my case at least can be the difference in a critical line on a bend & that does matter a lot to me.
    Mr Rossi I ain't by any means but I do like riding my 1125r to it's potential without unwanted hazards.
    Thanks for the video links & your reply I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Is the fuel boiling?
    Are you overfilling the fuel tank?
    Have you checked the operation of the fuel tank vent valve?
    Is the bike overheating?

Any container of hot fuel is going to build pressure and need a place to vent that pressure to. Why not just reroute the vent house further back on the bike so any drops that are expelled are left behind you? Or just do your elaborate system of charcoal filters and catch cans. After all of the mods you said you have done to the bike; this should be easy.

Have you actually measured the amount of fuel leaking from the hose while riding or just making an assumption? How hard are you leaning this in the turns where a drop of gas is enough to spell certain doom?
    Hi 34nineteen,
    No the fuel never boils, I have the heat under control 87 degrees max, I have to use the spare fan in traffic to maintain that but otherwise the bike runs at around 76/80 on motorway/A road runs.
    Fuel vent works as it should.
    I'm in the process of measuring how much get's vented, I made the little catch can yesterday & working out the best place to fit it today so will know an average in the next week or so.
    I tried vacuum venting like Cooter suggested but found fuel in the air box bottom so there's too much to vent successfully that way, although this will help at a later date.
    Thanks for your reply, any input helps.

If you vented it the way I described you couldn't have fuel in the air box. Run your charcoal canister air vent line to a 'ported' vacuum source. Ported vacuum only operates off-idle so you engine can deal with ingesting the extra fuel vapors and won't affect idle mixture.

It's exactly how a charcoal canister is supposed to be plumbed.

Hi Cooter,
    Yeah I know the theoretical answers,they weren't what I requested..
    To be honest I asked if anyone had done this or tried it on an 1125r. You obviously haven't or you wouldn't be quoting theories at me. Also the fact that you said the vent only works on the side stand tells me you don't really know FA about what I asked other than theory. Anyone can read theories, doing the job is different & theories are just that, theories.
    But thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.berry View Post
    Hi Cooter,
    Yeah I know the theoretical answers,they weren't what I requested..
    To be honest I asked if anyone had done this or tried it on an 1125r. You obviously haven't or you wouldn't be quoting theories at me. Also the fact that you said the vent only works on the side stand tells me you don't really know FA about what I asked other than theory. Anyone can read theories, doing the job is different & theories are just that, theories.
    But thanks anyway.
    I have had that breather apart and in my hand. Have you?

And it isn't any "theory" that engine vacuum will pull gas vapors out of your charcoal can. It is exactly how they function in any factory emissions system. Including California Buells, including every EBR.

NOT just sticking a hose in the airbox, you muffin... thats called a vapor BOMB

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    put a hose from it to a 'ported' vacuum source at the TB.
    and it is how you solve your worry that one drip from a vent tube will send you off in the dirt while "theoretically" dragging your elbow, inside passing that annoying Marquez.

Wow. Helping people who ask for help is getting more difficult these days.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-17-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Last edited by Cooter; 09-17-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Hey Cooter,

Next time you need to give a precise, direct answer to peoples issues. Your theories are worthless and unwarranted. You probably havent even owned an 1125 or have even done a track day. Unless you have the correct answer, please refrain from your asinine comments.

But thanks anyways!

PS. My dog was right, your kickstand does lean your bike more than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Hey Cooter,

Next time you need to give a precise, direct answer to peoples issues. Your theories are worthless and unwarranted. You probably havent even owned an 1125 or have even done a track day. Unless you have the correct answer, please refrain from your asinine comments.

But thanks anyways!

PS. My dog was right, your kickstand does lean your bike more than you do.
    My girlfriend leans harder than this tool does.

Oh noes!!! Cooters gonna crash!!!!

drip.jpg

You owe me a keyboard. Because theres coffee all over mine.

And there's an STD joke in there somewhere??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast