Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
Not looking forward to many more infusions of hundreds of dollars.
Then please, for your own sake... slow down. You and your friend are guessing. If you want to fix it yourself (and I believe you can), we are a team and let's take this ONE step at a time and only replace things that actually test bad.

The worn wiring on the ECM is a sign the seat is sitting on it and the ECM cracking is a 'thing' with some Ulys and a low seat. There is a relocation bracket available. I'm glad IDS will check the ECM out for you, but expect it to be OK.

Backfiring when you flip the red run switch is a DDFI-3 thing. It's the "spark plug cleaning feature" I was taught by Ol' Lunaticpants and is meant to purge rich unburned gas out of the cylinders before you crank it for easier starting. If you read my blog you'd know I am VERY AWARE of that feature LOL.

So... lets start with the easy and free stuff. Buells have a VERY rich and VERY long cold start fuel map. They will flood so easily if repeated attempts fail (like after a fuel pump replacement...) so clean those new plugs of yours to spotless, check spark at both cylinders, and once the ECM is back you'll need to TPS re-set anyway.

Report what you find

No worries man, we'll get her back to faithful status soon