Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '08 XB12Ss: No start

Is the starter relay being energized when you push the starter button? (85+86) If so, what what happens when you jump across the secondary terminals? (30 + 87) or (30 + 87a). I don’t know if your relays have the standard Bosch markings on them.

Your probably best served by going to an auto parts store and picking up a new relay so you have a “known good one”. From the teachings of lunatic fringe the wise, XB’s are hard on ground connections and relays, among other things.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-16-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Is the starter relay being energized when you push the starter button? (85+86) If so, what what happens when you jump across the secondary terminals? (30 + 87) or (30 + 87a). I don’t know if your relays have the standard Bosch markings on them.

Your probably best served by going to an auto parts store and picking up a new relay so you have a “known good one”. From the teachings of lunatic fringe the wise, XB’s are hard on ground connections and relays, among other things.
    I'll look into replacing the relays as they are the original units from when I bought the bike, brand new, from a dealership in Victoria, BC, Canada back in 2008.

YOUR RELAYS are factory part # H-D-31522-00
    infinite amount in dealer system and readily available. used on dozens of XR..XL..and big-twin models. priced right.
    all 3 exactly the same....each is 20 amp rated.
    cross-reference identical match as follows:

Panasonic CM1-D-12V
    NAPA V11214
    NAPA v11190
    Advance # 36126
    most late model FORD AND CHRYSLER A/C relays also the same. take yours to parts store and match it up.

most likely a failing battery. establish a base-line by simply jumping the bike from a known good vehicle with that vehicle TURNED OFF when jumping. will tell you immediately if your battery is the culprit.

and run a dedicated ground wire from rear-most coil attachment bracket cap bolt to the negative battery cable end frame rail attachment point. helps immensely on starting-mode.

Thanks for that. One note, however... I have 4 relays (all look identical) in my fusebox.

Fixed! I replaced the ignition relay. I'm thinking it might be best to renew all of the relays at this point since they're all the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Thanks for that. One note, however... I have 4 relays (all look identical) in my fusebox.

one note, however.....
    THREE relays. key switch....ignition....start.
    #4 is spare. some have it...some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    one note, however.....
    THREE relays. key switch....ignition....start.
    #4 is spare. some have it...some don't.
    My 4th one appears to be in the AUX section according to the fusebox labeling.

In any case, thanks for the prompt help in diagnosing and correcting the situation!

My 4th one appears to be in the AUX section according to the fusebox labeling.

In any case, thanks for the prompt help in diagnosing and correcting the situation!
    Make sure to put a big "X" on the good one, so you dont mix it up in the diagnosis.

Post #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    ...Did you actually check the relays to make sure they are actuating?...
    Post #3
    Did you actually check the relays to make sure they are actuating? Yes
    Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Post #2

Post #3

Hmmm...
    LOL, well the relay that failed still clicks, so for all intents at purposes it sounds like it's functioning. However, it is not electrically sound and doesn't actually engage the relay contacts or something internally. It definitely still clicks when activated, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast