Thread: Buell x1 questions

Buell x1 questions

Hey all
    I'm new to Harley and Buells. I have a project bike im working on and want to put a buell into. So I found one ebay. Dont worry its not in a bike so I'm not destroying any buells lol. Anyways the guy says it runs dreat and goes through gears well but apparently doesn't know the mileage. He wants 1700 shipped.
    Do u guys think this is a good deal? Its just a complete engine minus the exhaust and intake/throttle body.

Also if i do end up getting this how are these bikes for replacement parts?

Hello Birdman, and welcome to the forum! The answer you get can only be as good as the question you ask.

That reminds me... Hey Barrett! Have you seen my crystal ball?

Quote Originally Posted by B1RDMAN86 View Post
    Hey all
    I'm new to Harley and Buells. I have a project bike im working on and want to put a buell into. So I found one ebay. Dont worry its not in a bike so I'm not destroying any buells lol. Anyways the guy says it runs dreat and goes through gears well but apparently doesn't know the mileage. He wants 1700 shipped.
    Do u guys think this is a good deal? Its just a complete engine minus the exhaust and intake/throttle body.

Also if i do end up getting this how are these bikes for replacement parts?
    Let me see if I understand the question.

You have a project bike (I'm assuming which is not a Harley or Buell), and you want to put a engine from a Buell X1 in it? And you are wondering if Buell X1 engine parts are still available?

Aside from the Thunderstorm cylinder heads, most parts for the motor are available new. A later top end with XB or late model Sportster heads may be a better choice.

Being that you can not verify the mileage or if the motor has a knock or needs other major work, you are rolling the dice. If the motor is in good shape, its a fair shake. If the motor is worse, its a bad deal.

Why an X1 motor? Because its cheap?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-21-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Hey guys.
    Thanks for the reply. You are right my question was a bit vague. So my project is a 89 Harley Sportster and I want more power among many other modifications I will do to this bike. So I was thinking of upgrading the engine to the Buell X1 because it is the most powerful engine of that style engine. And those are good points about the engine you brought up. Ill have to ask the seller about it and see if I can get more information.
    But I appreciate all the help.
    Also i just want to clarify. So there are aftermarket replacement parts for everything for the engine except the heads that are thunderstorms?

You should reach out to a company such as NRHS or Hammer Performance and see what they can do for you with your existing motor. These guys can also inform you of any pitfalls or incompatibilities between the Buell motor and your Sportster.

Also, depending on how much power you want to make, you will likely be ditching the cylinders/pistons anyways. XB heads make more power than Thunderstorm heads out of the box, and have larger fins for better cooling... and match up with the "big fin" cylinders for better cooling there. The Thunderstorm heads are cool and we the hot thing 20 years ago, but unless you're trying to build a period specific bike, you'd probably be better off starting with an XB head or just having your stock heads reworked.

Remember the X1 spec is with fuel injection and taken from the crank, not the wheel. So, that factory 103hp rating probably looks closer to 80-90hp on a dyno.

The only obstacle is your wallet. On both of their websites, they have listings of various dyno results from different build setups, so you can see what was involved in making XXX power.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-22-2020 at 06:46 PM.