Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 06 Ulysses XB12X stalling on cold startup and at warm idle

It's got the factory bolts on the flanges: one side is socket cap allen, the other is hex head. Nice tip with the fuel line for the rear. Swapping the plugs and wires myself is fine, maybe even the throttle body, but I don't want to buy a compression tester or a leak-down tester. And if the shop finds that valves or gaskets are leaking too then I'll have to reassess the plan.

Theres no transmission plug, it shares oil with the engine.
    My bad, the manual tripped me up by calling the primary fluid "transmission fluid".

Quote Originally Posted by Foldout View Post
    It's got the factory bolts on the flanges: one side is socket cap allen, the other is hex head. Nice tip with the fuel line for the rear. Swapping the plugs and wires myself is fine, maybe even the throttle body, but I don't want to buy a compression tester or a leak-down tester. And if the shop finds that valves or gaskets are leaking too then I'll have to reassess the plan.

My bad, the manual tripped me up by calling the primary fluid "transmission fluid".
    All Buell XB models are Harley-Davidson XL sportster and XR1200 engine/transmission architecture dating back to 1957. you're new to all of this so don't get confused by conflicting info.

1-your engine does NOT hold its own oil supply......your engine does NOT share its oil with any other system or component. XL/XR and XB have a dedicated oil tank to accomplish that. your "oil tank" happens to be your swingarm, as well. FULL DRAIN WITH FILTER CHANGE IS 2-1/2 QUARTS.

2-your engine drives your transmission thru a semi-wet clutch AND that clutch is driven by a large dedicated chain. the charging system alternator....chain....clutch are housed inside the large cover on the left of the engine assembly. THAT is what's known on these bikes as the PRIMARY DRIVE. incidentally, the device driving the rear wheel on these models is referred to as the secondary drive. make sense? the TRANSMISSION is housed in the rear of the 2-piece engine case assembly....BUT is completely shielded from same. the transmission shares ONE QUART of oil/fluid with the primary drive. that oil is poured into the primary assembly thru either the upper or lower removable cover. the oil then flows back and forth from the primary to the trans thru opening on left side of engine case.
    the primary oil/fluid lubricates your transmission...primary drive components...and assorted ancillary bearings and bushings. it does NOT lubricate the clutch assembly. it only lowers its temperature and reduces annoying clutch plate chatter.

"the primary oil/fluid lubricates your transmission...primary drive components...and assorted ancillary bearings and bushings. it does NOT lubricate the clutch assembly. it only lowers its temperature and reduces annoying clutch plate chatter."

Mmmmm, not quite. The clutch plates ride in the primary oil, so it technically *does* get lubricated. Every time you squeeze the clutch lever, the plates disengage and oil is introduced between the plates. Everything else stated prior is correct though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Theres no transmission plug, it shares oil with the engine.

You sure about that Hoss?

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    "the primary oil/fluid lubricates your transmission...primary drive components...and assorted ancillary bearings and bushings. it does NOT lubricate the clutch assembly. it only lowers its temperature and reduces annoying clutch plate chatter."

Mmmmm, not quite. The clutch plates ride in the primary oil, so it technically *does* get lubricated. Every time you squeeze the clutch lever, the plates disengage and oil is introduced between the plates. Everything else stated prior is correct though.

Mmmmmmm...let's split hairs, Dean.
    the lower portion of the clutch pack assembly "rides" in the top layer of the primary fluid for one specific reason only, and that is to move the fluid around and sling it, so that the other internal primary components get lubrication from the fluid. a secondary benefit of the oil "wetting" the clutch pack is, as i mentioned, reduced noise, smoother engagement and reducing clutch pack temps.
    this style motorcycle clutch sans the chain, can function wet or dry. kawasaki R series two-stroke racing triples and ducatis have proven that for decades.
    semantics....lubricating fluids....terminology....always result in great keyboard rumbles on here. let me get my coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by casual_observer View Post
    You sure about that Hoss?
    Nope. I was wrong... The picture in my head was engine oil pressure ports at the transmission shaft bearings. Must have been thinking of something designed after the 50's LOL

Wait, the primary plug's tiny magnet was covered in shavings so the rotor's magnets are probably covered too. Didn't think about that at the time. Man, I'll have to take out the clutch, chain, and rotor for inspection sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Foldout View Post
    Wait, the primary plug's tiny magnet was covered in shavings so the rotor's magnets are probably covered too. Didn't think about that at the time. Man, I'll have to take out the clutch, chain, and rotor for inspection sometime soon.
    How much shavings? A little is acceptible, but a lot is a obviously a problem. If the chain is rubbing on the cases, which are aluminum, that won't be attracted to the magnets. The friction material is the other real wear material which is non magnetic as well. The only other real culprit is likely the magnets and you may have had one detach and run through the wringer. If the shavings are excessive, I would pull the primary cover at very least and go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12