Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stator replacement

Stator replacement

I have searched and not found much info for my issue. I have a 2008 xb12x with a fried stator. I sent it to ricks motorsports and they said it is not repairable. They don't have a replacement and nothing on ebay. I've searched online for a while now with no luck. My question is can I use a HD sportster '08 as long as its single phase? I think is 32 amp vrs 30 amp on the XB. It looks like I may have to modify the wiring, but that shouldn't be too tough. Any other issues i'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My question is can I use a HD sportster '08 as long as its single phase?

YES

the XL/XR series stator wire(2) length must be slightly modded.
    can go OEM XL/XR factory issued stator.....OR....below manufacturers their own stator which is an outstanding piece and competitively priced. Jim was the main contact but that was several years ago. they're in OH and your typical lovely OH folks.

http://cycleelectricinc.com

voltage regulator replacement as well?

Thank you! That is great news! I'll order one today. My bike has been apart for months now and I'm itching to ride! Can I use the stock(recently replaced) voltage regulator or would I need to replace it as well?

Charles

my pleasure charles. your 2008 stock VR has 2 individual harnesses. the shorter of the 2 is the stator plug/harness. it also has a round style harness plug connector. the later model XR/XL stators which i mentioned above, are single phase so of course their output harness is also 2 wire. it does have a round plug end but i don't recall if it plugs directly into your stock VR. if it doesn't, the simply snip the old plug end off your faulty OEM stator and attach to new stator.

Chuckski, I ordered my stator from Newcastle HD - not sure of their stock at present, but I seem to remember they had it to me quickly. P/N 29971-02YA.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    my pleasure charles. your 2008 stock VR has 2 individual harnesses. the shorter of the 2 is the stator plug/harness. it also has a round style harness plug connector. the later model XR/XL stators which i mentioned above, are single phase so of course their output harness is also 2 wire. it does have a round plug end but i don't recall if it plugs directly into your stock VR. if it doesn't, the simply snip the old plug end off your faulty OEM stator and attach to new stator.
    Great thanks.

D943BA9D-23D5-4706-A7DB-80F96DF3550A_1_105_c.jpeg

Well I began installing the stator and after using the replacement bolts I remembered reading another post about the bolts not being as low profile and the original. They rubbed and caused problems. So I guess I will need to use the old bolts with loc-tite. I am totally winging it. I'm in over my head, but I need to know how to do this if I'm going to keep this bike. I haven't had any luck with local shops willing to work on a Buell. The few that are here are hesitant when I ask if they work on Buells.... I am thankful for this forum and it has been a great help to me with other repairs, mods, and maintenance. Cheers!

I just found the correct bolts at St. Paul. I guess I'll order new ones and do it right. More delays...

Whats wrong with the old ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Whats wrong with the old ones?
    XB Service Manual says to not reuse.

Meh. It says that about every bolt. IMO its not a part that gets replaced a lot and therefore not overtorqued by meat handed rookies. IMO clean, loc-tite, torque to spec, and move on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast