Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sputter/hesitation at idle...hesitation low RPM

Quote Originally Posted by jared View Post
    I am going to replace my plugs just to eliminate that issue. Barrett you mentioned a process to change them. Can you help me with this process by giving me some pointers? You mentioned possibly some certain tools?

Jared: go to ebay and purchase an XB12 airbox lid. 12 lids all years the same....9 lids all years the same...but they do not interchange. by that i mean you CAN swap them around BUT the 12 lid has dedicated mounts and cable fastening tab for the IEV exhaust actuator box. i do have a few new 12 lids in stock but have to check pricing. good used ebay piece will work fine for you. and ALSO check that the large rubber airhorn is fastened correctly with factory spring clamp to the throttle body air intake....and fastened correctly to bottom of airbox base plate. these XB's will typically run terribly with an ill-fitting airhorn connector and missing airbox top-lid.

the vid that Aaron posted for you is excellent. follow my NGK iridium spark plug suggestions from prior response to this thread
    and here's the steps in conjunction with the vid:
    1-old plugs and new plugs have a 5/8th inch hex base.
    2-remove 2 wiring harness plugs that are attached to the left side air intake scoop at front of bike. squeeze the tangs together and they unsnap from the scoop. then remove scoop.
    3-remove airbox cover....disconnect vent hose from frame fitting left front top corner....remove airbox lid and set aside...remove airbox base plate. THE FOUR BASE PLATE #27 TORX HELD IN PLACE WITH PINK LOCTITE. DO NOT STRIP OUT THE HEAD OR YOU'RE IN A WORLD OF ****!
    4-gently remove F&R spark plug wire from each plug. remove front plug with simple 5/8th inch box wrench. remove rear plug with dedicated 5/8th inch foam insert spark plug socket. use 3/8th driver and multiple extensions plus swivel head on end of socket to do the rear plug. if you do NOT have the 3/8th drive swivel, buy or borrow one.
    5-while doing this work you can unplug the coil, remove the 2 attachment hex cap bolts, remove the coil, and inspect it for cracks/leakage and closely inspect both plug wires. if anything is suspect, replace with new. the XB coil is a twin fire style meaning it has 2 dedicated circuits and fires one plug at a time.
    INSTALLATION OF PLUGS AND ALL ELSE IS THE REVERSE OF THIS PROCEDURE.

NOTE: would do no harm to reset your TPS sensor at this time. if your XB is a 2008 or later you can do it by hand with a few simple steps as follows: DOES NOT MATTER IF DONE AT ROOM TEMP OR OPERATING TEMP.

TO RESET YOUR TPS SENSOR:
    a. Set the Run/Stop switch to the Run position.
    b. Turn the ignition key to the On position. DO NOT START THE ENGINE.
    c. With the engine off, rotate the throttle grip from closed throttle position to
    wide-open throttle position and back to closed position 3 times holding the throttle
    grip against each stop for 1 full second.
    d. Cycle the key off and back on.

Papa Buell has spoken!

You don't need any fancy fuel. Waste of $$ and the bike won't run any different. Just use a fuel stabilizer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12